Photo by YE AUNG THU / AFP
Narongsak Osottanakorn, former governor of Chiang Rai province, who shot to fame for his leading role in the dramatic operation to rescue 12 young footballers and their coach from a flooded cave in Chiang Rai in 2018, broke his silence today (Tuesday) to end speculation that he may contest Bangkok gubernatorial election.
Currently the governor Pathum Thani province, he told a press conference that he has decided to stay in civil service until his retirement, saying that he can devote himself to his work wherever he is and he wants to do his best “while wearing the hat of a civil servant and will retire with dignity.”
Narongsak said that, throughout his career as a governor, he has moved his residence from one province to another and, today, he is in Pathum Thani, which makes it impossible for him to stand in Bangkok’s gubernatorial election next year.
He said he had been in Lampang and Phayao, after Chiang Rai, where he had dedicated himself to the people there and they love him.
The governor thanked everyone who proposed that he be their candidate for the election in Bangkok, but he stressed that his heart and mind is now with Pathum Thani province.
He was widely tipped to be the candidate of Palang Pracharat, the ruling government party.
Narongsak said that, after his retirement from government service, he would like to teach.