WHO: Spread of Ebola to DRC's Goma Could be 'Game-Changer'
The head of the World Health Organization warns the spread of Ebola to a large city in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo could have dire consequences. The WHO chief spoke Monday at a high-level meeting that examined current efforts to contain the growing Ebola epidemic in Congo. The Ebola outbreak in Congo’s conflict-ridden North Kivu and Ituri provinces is the second largest after the historic 2014 epidemic that killed 11,300 people in West Africa. As the first anniversary of the DRC epidemic draws near, the WHO reports nearly 2,500 people have been infected with the virus and 1,665 people have died. World Health Organization (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (R) listens to a delegate at the end of a meeting organised the United Nations on the Ebola disease in DRC, on July 15, 2019, in Geneva.WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says the effort to stop the spread of the disease has received another blow with the news that the first case of Ebola had been detected in the eastern Congolese city of Goma. He says WHO was informed Sunday that a pastor who had traveled from Butembo was infected with the deadly virus.“The identification of the case in Goma could potentially be a game changer in this epidemic," he said. "Goma is a city of two million people, near the border with Rwanda, and is a gateway to the region and the world. We are confident in the measures we have put in place and hope that we will see no further transmission of Ebola in Goma.” FILE - Mwamini Kahindo, an Ebola survivor working as a caregiver to babies who are confirmed Ebola cases, holds an infant outside the red zone at the Ebola treatment center in Butembo, DRC, March 25, 2019.But Tedros agrees he cannot be sure... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, WHO: Spread of Ebola to DRC's Goma Could be 'Game-Changer', simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 15 July
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Hundreds gather in Goma, Congo for "Stop Ebola" March VOA NEWS (Today) - Hundreds gathered in Congo's eastern city of Goma Thursday to support Ebola response teams that have seen increasing attacks and resistance among communities where Ebola continues to spread.North Kivu Governor...
- Older News
- Vote! UN Chief to Travel to Epicenter of DRC Ebola Outbreak VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will travel to the epicenter of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo next week.The DRC is no stranger to periodic outbreaks of the Ebola...
- Vote! 1 Ebola Fatality Confirmed in New Congo Region VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Congolese officials have confirmed the death of one of at least two new Ebola patients in South Kivu province. The outbreak in Congo has killed more than 1,800 people but...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
- - US Tells Canada It's Urging China to Free Detained Canadians
- - Salvini Rivals Explore Options to Avoid Snap Italian Election
- - New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
- - Giraffes Move Closer to Endangered Species Protection
- - No Rohingya turn up for planned repatriation to Myanmar
- - USAID Ends Haiti Food Insecurity Program
- - Report Shows US Deficit to Top $1 Trillion Next Year
- - Rwanda Encourages Youth to Use Electric Motorcycles
- - Pacific Fishermen Report Best King Salmon Season in Years