WHO Declares Ebola in DRC a Global Public Health Emergency
GENEVA — The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared the Ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's conflict-ridden North Kivu and Ituri provinces a public health emergency of international concern. The declaration by an emergency committee at WHO headquarters in Geneva elevated the disease and the efforts needed to combat it to a significantly higher level of concern. Nevertheless, committee chairman Robert Steffen cautioned against overreacting to the meaning of the decision. "This is still a regional emergency and by no way a global threat,” he said. “And, why this change of opinion … there is concern about the spread of Ebola from Goma, a gateway, even though so far no cases were newly infected in the city." On Sunday, the first case of Ebola was discovered in Goma, a city of 2 million. The pastor infected with the virus later died. Steffen said the recurrence of intense transmission in Beni, an earlier epicenter of the disease, and the recent killings of two Ebola health workers were among other factors that fed into the committee's decision. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus acknowledged that the risk that the disease could spread in the DRC was very high but said that the risk of spread outside the region remained low. No curbs on travel, trade advised Although the committee declared Ebola to be a global health emergency, Tedros said WHO did not recommend any restrictions on travel or trade. Such restrictions “can actually hamper the fight,” he said. “Closing borders could have disastrous consequences for the lives and livelihoods of the people who cross the border every day for trade, education or to visit relatives." WHO said that since the Ebola epidemic was declared last Aug. 1, there have been more than 2,500 cases, including nearly 1,670 deaths. This is... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, WHO Declares Ebola in DRC a Global Public Health Emergency, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 July
- Older News
- Vote! 1 Ebola Fatality Confirmed in New Congo Region VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - Congolese officials have confirmed the death of one of at least two new Ebola patients in South Kivu province. The outbreak in Congo has killed more than 1,800 people but...
- Vote! Number of Ebola Orphans Spikes as Epidemic Spreads in Eastern DRC VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - The U.N. children's fund reports the number of children orphaned by Ebola or separated from their parents because of the disease in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has more than...
- Vote! Congolese Mother and Child’s Recovery Offers Hope in Ebola Fight VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - This report originated in VOA’s Swahili Service.After 29 days at an Ebola treatment center in eastern Congo, fighting for their lives, a mother and her young son were discharged Tuesday...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - German, Hungarian Leaders Commemorate ’89 Freedom Picnic
- - Phuket History: A short period of Japanese rule over the central peninsula and Phuket
- - Corner unit seaview Apartment in Layan for sale
- - Chinese K-Pop Stars Publicly Back Beijing on Hong Kong
- - Protesters Torch Parliament Building in Indonesia's Papua
- - Borghi: Italy's League Wants to Cut Taxes by Rising Deficit a Little Bit
- - German, Hungarian Leaders Commemorate '89 Freedom Picnic
- - Parliament building torched and city paralysed as thousands protest in Papua, Indonesia
- - Chinese stocks jump as Treasury yields bounce higher; Shenzhen surges around 3%
- - Thais warned against smuggling drugs into Japan