White House: Trump Wishes He'd Boosted China Tariffs Higher
U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday he had "second thoughts" about escalating his reciprocal tariff war with China, but the White House quickly clarified that he meant that was because he did not raise the taxes even more than he did.Last week, before heading to France for the Group of 7 summit of the leaders of some of the world's leading economies, Trump boosted tariffs on $550 billion worth of Chinese products shipped to the United States after Beijing said it would raise tariffs on $75 billion worth of U.S. exports to China, which itself was in retaliation to an earlier Trump tariff hike.U.S. President Donald Trump, left, and Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson attend a working breakfast at the Hotel du Palais on the sidelines of the G-7 summit in Biarritz, France, Aug. 25, 2019.On Sunday, as he sat down to a breakfast meeting with new British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, a reporter asked Trump whether he regretted the tit-for-tat tariff war with China. Trump responded, "Yeah, sure. Why not.""Might as well," he said. "Might as well. I have second thoughts about everything."When asked if he would declare a national emergency to block U.S. companies from buying Chinese goods, Trump said, "I have the right to, if I want."But Trump then claimed that trade talks were going well with China and that he planned to walk back some of his recent threats, such as seeking to force American companies to leave China.News stories from the site of the summit in the Atlantic coastal town of Biarritz quickly interpreted Trump's "second thoughts" remark as having regrets about boosting tariffs on Chinese exports.The international attention the remark drew came in part because Trump has been defiant in confronting China's trade practices and its wide trade surplus with the U.S., which totaled... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, White House: Trump Wishes He'd Boosted China Tariffs Higher, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Sunday, 25 August
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Trump, Finland's President to Meet at White House in October VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - President Donald Trump and Finnish President Sauli Niinisto will mark 100 years of diplomatic relations between their countries at the White House next month.The White House says the Oct. 2...
- Older News
- Vote! Donald Trump says Japan trade deal will be ‘tremendous for farmers’ SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - US President Donald Trump said on Monday he had reached a trade deal with Japan but provided no details of its terms including whether he had agreed to rule out...
- Vote! Trump Says Tehran Likely Behind Aramco Attack VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - U.S. President Donald Trump said that "it's looking like" Iran was behind this weekend's attacks carried out on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia but said the U.S. is not looking...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks