Where learned you that oath, fool?
Submitted on Mon, 2019-08-19 13:01Harrison George‘Where learned you that oath, fool?’ (William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act 1 Scene 2) ‘I, (name of the declarer), do solemnly declare that I will be loyal to His Majesty the King and will faithfully perform my duties in the interests of the country and of the people. I will also uphold and observe the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand in every respect. Forever.’ This isn’t what they wrote down for him, is it? Oh no, that’s what he said. Missed out the last sentence. Of two. And added ‘forever’. So what was written down for him? Er, not sure. He did have a piece of paper in his hand but it seems to have, er, disappeared. Disappeared? Well, let’s say no one over at Government House can find it. Or so they say. But it must have been printed from a computer or something. Can’t they find it there? Same story. Everybody shtum. No one saw nothing nowhere nohow. And we’ve been saddled with sorting it out. Well, not really. We just have to decide if it should be passed on the courts. They will have to sort it out really. And what do the courts say about it? Well, of course they won’t say anything official until we send it to them. If we do. But, er, unofficially … Yes? Well, we have had word, and they will totally deny it of course, that they do have an opinion. Oh good. What is it? ‘Don’t even think of asking us to deal with it.’ Ah. I see. Well, perhaps I am missing something here, but it seems obvious, what with the pressures of office and all that, he must have come over all funny and forgot to say the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Where learned you that oath, fool?, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Prachatai - Monday, 19 August
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! PM ignores oath bungle in debate Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday rose to answer the opposition's questions in the parliamentary debate, but stopped short of clarifying the oath gaffe -- the debate's focus -- in...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Prayut dodges opposition questions over flawed oath Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has come under fire in a parliamentary debate because he omitted a key phrase in taking his oath of office in July, but dodged opposition demands...
- Older News
- Vote! Oath debate to end by 6pm Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - The opposition will conclude its debate on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s failure to recite the complete oath of office by 6pm, so cabinet members can attend a ceremony for the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks