Vietnamese Fighting Back on Plastic Pollution
For many Vietnamese people, it is a ritual as circadian as the sunrise: On the way to work, they pull over their motorbikes to grab an iced coffee from a street vendor, complete with a plastic cup, plastic lid, plastic straw, and plastic case to hang from the bikes as they drive. The coffee, with four separate pieces of plastic for a single drink, exemplifies how this packaging has became such a common and wasteful scourge on Vietnam’s environment. But some citizens have become alarmed by the trend and begun fighting back against the pollution. More Vietnamese than ever are looking for alternatives to plastic, from metal bottles to cloth tote bags, just as many communities around the world are starting to believe they have relied for too long on cheap and versatile -- but ecologically disastrous -- plastic. Rwanda was remarkably efficient at banning plastic bags, while Durham, North... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Vietnamese Fighting Back on Plastic Pollution, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - State weighs impact of 5G bid delay
- - Pollution improves, but Chiang Mai braced for more
- - 18 hurt after bus slams into house
- - Chinese Leader Meets with US Trade Delegation in Beijing
- - Vietnamese airlines get access to US for first time
- - 19 injured after bus crashes into Sa Kaeo property
- - Ko Ni: Gunman gets death penalty in murder of Myanmar Muslim lawyer
- - Indonesian plantation firms dodge US$220 million in unpaid fines years after disastrous land fires
- - There are 'encouraging signs' from Singapore Airlines' earnings, analyst says
- - All signs point to more money pouring into Chinese markets this year
- Older News
- Vote! 'We saved our town from your plastic rubbish' BBC News Asia (2 days ago) - When a Malaysian town was inundated with foreign plastic waste, a group of villagers decided...
- Vote! Plastic pollution: One town smothered by 17,000 tonnes of rubbish BBC News Asia (3 days ago) - One small town has become a dumping ground for the world's waste and it's causing...
- Vote! Malaysia plastic pollution: 'We saved our town from your Western rubbish' BBC News Asia (3 days ago) - When a Malaysian town was inundated with foreign plastic waste, a group of villagers decided...