Vietnam Bars Second Rights Campaigner From World Economic Forum
Vietnam has refused to let a campaigner from Amnesty International attend the World Economic Forum (WEF) set to be held in the southeast Asian nation this week, the rights group said on Monday, the second such refusal in as many days. Hanoi will host the World Economic Forum on the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) from Tuesday to Thursday, an event touted as the country’s biggest diplomatic gathering this year. Amnesty condemned the decision to block the entry of Minar Pimple, its senior director of global operations, adding that the step came at a time when freedom of expression was under threat in Vietnam. “The government’s actions undermine an event that depends on a plurality of views, and they are giving ASEAN a bad name,” Amnesty’s secretary general, Kumi Naidoo, said in a statement posted on its website. “We condemn this decision to stifle debate from a regular... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Vietnam Bars Second Rights Campaigner From World Economic Forum, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Above the concrete canopy: Hong Kong from the sky
- - Could Thailand become the next big higher-education powerhouse?
- - 'Baby formula ring' leads to six arrests in Australia
- - China economy: Fourth quarter growth slips to 6.4%
- - China's economy grew at slowest pace in 28 years in 2018
- - Vampire bat breakthrough shows bloodsuckers could save lives
- - Asia stocks trade higher as China says its economy grew 6.6 percent in 2018
- - Thailand Tourism Highlights for 2018
- - These are the biggest global risks of 2019
- - Asia stocks gain ahead of Chinese GDP numbers
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Humanitarian Issues to Figure Prominently at Davos Forum VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Heads of U.N. and international aid agencies will use the World Economic Forum’s influential platform...
- Older News
- Vote! Has Davos made the world better? Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - GENEVA - Klaus Schwab, who founded the World Economic Forum (WEF), has said his childhood...
- Vote! Davos founders warn of rising tension between the world's superpowers CNBC - ASIA (5 days ago) - A rising risk of political confrontations between major powers is hindering solutions to challenges like...