US-South Korea Drills Could Impact Nuclear Talks, Says North
North Korea has criticized U.S. plans to hold a joint military exercise next month with South Korea, suggesting the drills could negatively impact upcoming working-level nuclear talks with Washington.In a statement from the Korean Central News Agency, North Korea’s Foreign Ministry on Tuesday said the exercise violates an agreement reached last year by Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Singapore.FILE - U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un sign documents at the end of their summit in Singapore, June 12, 2018.“We will look at the future moves of the United States, and we will make a decision regarding the holding of working-level talks,” said the statement attributed to an unnamed North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesperson.The U.S. and North Korea agreed to hold working-level talks following a hastily arranged meeting last month between Trump and Kim at the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas.That meeting helped restart talks that had broken down over disagreements on how to pace sanctions relief with steps to dismantle North Korea’s nuclear weapons.At their first summit in Singapore last June, Trump and Kim agreed to work “toward complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.” But neither side can agree on what that phrase means or how to begin working toward it.In Singapore, Trump also agreed to scale back U.S. military exercises with South Korea. But North Korea still regularly complains about the smaller exercises.The exercise scheduled for next month is called “Dong Maeng,” or “alliance” in English. The drill will replace the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise that was scaled back as part of the Trump-Kim talks.FILE - South Korean army soldiers aim their weapons during an anti-terror drill as part of Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise, at Sadang Subway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Aug. 19, 2015.A statement earlier in the day from... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US-South Korea Drills Could Impact Nuclear Talks, Says North, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 16 July
- Older News
- Vote! US North Korea Envoy to Visit Japan, South Korea Next Week VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - The U.S. special envoy for North Korea will travel to Japan and South Korea next week to coordinate efforts to secure the denuclearization of North Korea, the State Department said...
- Vote! North Korea's Kim Oversaw Test-firing of New Weapon Again VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw the test-firing of a new weapon again on Friday morning, state media KCNA said on Saturday.North Korea launched at least two short-range ballistic...
- Vote! North Korea fires short-range missiles, rejects talks with South’s ‘impudent’ Moon Jae-in SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - North Korea fired what appeared to be two short-range missiles into the sea on Friday and launched a scathing attack on “foolish” calls for dialogue from South Korean President Moon...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - German, Hungarian Leaders Commemorate ’89 Freedom Picnic
- - Phuket History: A short period of Japanese rule over the central peninsula and Phuket
- - Corner unit seaview Apartment in Layan for sale
- - Chinese K-Pop Stars Publicly Back Beijing on Hong Kong
- - Protesters Torch Parliament Building in Indonesia's Papua
- - Borghi: Italy's League Wants to Cut Taxes by Rising Deficit a Little Bit
- - German, Hungarian Leaders Commemorate '89 Freedom Picnic
- - Parliament building torched and city paralysed as thousands protest in Papua, Indonesia
- - Chinese stocks jump as Treasury yields bounce higher; Shenzhen surges around 3%
- - Thais warned against smuggling drugs into Japan