US Will Enforce Sanctions on Iran Tanker, Official Says
WASHINGTON - The United States will aggressively enforce its sanctions to prevent the private sector from assisting an Iranian oil tanker that is traveling through the Mediterranean and that Washington wants seized, a State Department official said Thursday. "The shipping sector is on notice that we will aggressively enforce U.S. sanctions," the official told Reuters days after warning countries not to allow the tanker to dock. Ship tracking data have shown the ship, the Adrian Darya, formerly called Grace 1, last heading toward Greece, although Greece's prime minister said it was not heading to his country. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, warned that the United States would act against anyone who directly or indirectly helped the tanker. "All parties in the shipping sector should conduct appropriate due diligence to ensure that they are not doing business with nor facilitating business for, directly or indirectly, sanctioned parties or with sanctioned cargo," the official warned. The ship was released from detention off Gibraltar after a five-week standoff over whether it was carrying Iranian oil to Syria in violation of European Union sanctions. Soon after the detention order was lifted, a U.S. federal court ordered the seizure of the vessel on different grounds, but Gibraltar rejected that petition. Tehran said any U.S. move to seize the vessel again would have "heavy consequences." ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US Will Enforce Sanctions on Iran Tanker, Official Says, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 22 August
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! US official says Iran behind Saudi attack, Pence warns of possible strikes Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - WASHINGTON - The United States has concluded that an attack on Saudi oil facilities was launched from Iran, a US official said Tuesday as Vice President Mike Pence again warned...
- Older News
- Vote! Iran Says Tanker’s Oil Sold to Private Buyer, But It’s Unclear Any Was Delivered VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - This article originated in VOA’s Persian Service.Iran says it has sold oil on a tanker near Syria’s coast to a private company in defiance of U.S. efforts to stop such...
- Vote! Two British-Australians, 1 Australian Held in Iran VOA NEWS (7 days ago) - Two female dual British-Australian citizens and an Australian man have been detained in Iran. A British-Australian blogger and her Australian boyfriend were arrested 10 weeks ago, The Times of London reported Wednesday. The other...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Explosion Kills 24 People at Election Rally in Northern Afghanistan
- - Blast kills 24 near election rally for Afghan president: health official
- - Blast outside rally in central Afghanistan kills at least 24
- - Pakistan, India Join Russia-Led Military Drills Despite Kashmir Tensions
- - Ghani Escapes Election Violence That Killed 24
- - Taliban attacks kill 30, Afghan leader unhurt as bomb hits rally
- - Explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul, six killed
- - China signals veto in standoff with U.S. over Afghan U.N. mission: diplomats
- - Panda Lin Hui acting normally after Xuang Xuang's death
- - Philippines’ Duterte claims he ordered ambush, but palace said he ‘misspeaks’ Tagalog