US, Vietnam to Cooperate on Freedom of Navigation in Disputed South China Sea
The U.S. top diplomat reaffirmed America's commitment to a "free and open Indo-Pacific" region during his first trip to Vietnam, saying Washington and Hanoi will work together to uphold freedom of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo concluded his first trip to Vietnam as the top U.S. diplomat on Monday. “The United States is dedicated to an Indo-Pacific region with strong, independent nations who respect each other’s sovereignty, uphold the rule of law, and advance responsible commerce,“ said Pompeo at a business community reception in Hanoi. “In contrast with others in the region,” added Pompeo, “the United States’ actions are not guided by "raw economic self-interest alone” Instead, Pompeo told the group the U.S. is working to build partnerships to deal with regional concerns over China’s militarization and reclamation of features in the disputed South China Sea. “Both sides welcomed cooperation to... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, US, Vietnam to Cooperate on Freedom of Navigation in Disputed South China Sea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Overstaying Spaniard arrested for handcuffing and raping Thai woman in Bangkok
- - Serial sex pest arrested in Nonthaburi – he blames Viagra
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Elephant goes wild! Phuket wildfire! Bounded body found? || Feb. 20
- - Interpol Red Notice sought for Greek suspect over Phuket beautician murder
- - Four injured as car smashes into electric pole
- - Italian tourist gored as trekking elephant goes wild
- - Big Joke: “Dark skinned foreigner” lured pre-teen boys into van for 200 baht oral sex
- - Kim Jong-un unlikely to travel exclusively by rail to Hanoi for second Trump-Kim summit: sources
- - Hong Kong Jewellery Design Competition winners revealed
- - Uighur Australian's plea to 'save' his family in China
- Older News
- Vote! Pakistan PM urges talks on Kashmir blast, warns India against attack REUTERS ASIA NEWS (2 days ago) - Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan said on Tuesday Pakistan was ready to cooperate with India...
- Vote! Explained: Asean SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) is a multilateral organisation that encompasses Brunei, Cambodia,...
- Vote! Explained: South China Sea dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - The South China Sea, one of the world’s busiest waterways, is subject to several overlapping...