US Troubled by Official Ban on Hong Kong's Pro-Independence Party
The U.S. State Department said Tuesday on Twitter it is concerned about Hong Kong's ban on a political party that advocates for independence from China, adding that it violates core Democratic values. Hong Kong has banned the Hong Kong National Party, a further sign of the mainland's tightening grip on the semi-autonomous territory. Secretary for Security John Lee announced Monday the Hong Kong National Party is prohibited from operating under an ordinance that cites the interest of national security and public safety. The official ban comes just two months after he informed party founder Andy Chan the government was taking steps to outlaw the group. This is the first time the Hong Kong government has officially banned a political party since Britain returned sovereignty to Beijing in 1997. U.S.-based Human Rights Watch researcher Maya Wang issued a statement Monday calling the ban on the HKNP "a milestone in the Beijing and Hong Kong governments' assault on Hong Kong's freedoms.'' Chan is one of many young activists who have openly criticized the mainland's tightening grip on the former British colony. Hong Kong was granted a huge level of autonomy under the "one country, two systems" formula established when Beijing regained control of the territory. The activists are split between those seeking greater autonomy for Hong Kong, and those seeking full independence. The pro-independence Hong Kong National Party was born out of the massive 2014 "Umbrella Revolution" street protests demanding fully free elections. Chan warned last month that Hong Kong "is quickly being annexed and destroyed by China" in a speech before a group of foreign journalists. The group hosted Chan in defiance of Chinese demands to cancel the speech in Hong Kong.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US Troubled by Official Ban on Hong Kong's Pro-Independence Party, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 25 September, 2018
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! HK leader decries German asylum for 'bail jumpers' Bangkok Post (Today) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong’s leader has summoned the German consul to complain over Germany granting political asylum to a pair of Hong Kong political activists....
- Vote! Hong Kong-based TV asks DSI to tackle piracy Bangkok Post (Today) - Executives of a Hong Kong-based television channel and its Thai partners have asked the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to tackle online piracy after their drama series and television shows...
- Older News
- Vote! Boy or girl? Hong Kong at centre of banned China gender test Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - HONG KONG: Shady middle-men are openly advertising on Chinese social media to smuggle blood samples of pregnant women to Hong Kong to skirt the mainland's ban on gender testing, an...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - 77 year old Swede dies from heart attack on beach in Trat
- - Myanmar, Thailand keen to co-host Under-20 World Cup
- - Japan takes 15 phone-scam suspects from Thailand
- - Three injured in fresh seafood pickup accident in Krabi
- - IKEA Thailand launches full online store
- - Watch out Thailand, here comes Vietnam
- - Truck driver dodges charge for dangerous load as 33 tons of rice flip semi-trailer onto its side
- - Police load up charges against axe-weilding road-rage ambulance attackers
- - Cannon, gun base at Racha Noi declared items of national heritage
- - Taiwan to Expand Joint Rescue Operations in Disputed Sea