US Says It has Clear Evidence Navy Ship Downed Iranian Drone
A U.S. official says "we have very clear evidence" the USS Boxer shot down an Iranian drone that threatened the U.S. Navy warship in the Strait of Hormuz. "We would anticipate there's video" that will be released by the Defense Department, a senior administration official said early Friday. President Donald Trump said Thursday the warship destroyed an Iranian drone that was threatening the ship and its crew.Iran is denying the allegations."We have not lost any drone in the Strait of Hormuz nor anywhere else," Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi posted on Twitter, adding he is "worried" the U.S. amphibious assault ship had shot down an American military drone "by mistake."We have not lost any drone in the Strait of Hormuz nor anywhere else. I am worried that USS Boxer has shot down their own UAS by mistake!— Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) July 19, 2019"The Iranians don't have a great history with the truth," responded a senior U.S. official to the assertion from Tehran. "They have a 40-year history of provoking us." Trump told reporters gathered for a White House event Thursday that the drone came within 900 meters of the USS Boxer and ignored "multiple calls to stand down.""The drone was immediately destroyed," he said. "This is the latest of many provocative and hostile actions by Iran against vessels operating in international waters. The United States reserves the right to defend our personnel, our facilities, and interests."Iranian versions of the American RQ-170 drone which were used in a military exercise in the Gulf in Iran, involving dozens of drones, are seen on a runway, in this undated handout photo.The amphibious ship USS Boxer "was in international waters conducting a planned inbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz. A fixed wing unmanned aerial system (UAS) approached Boxer and closed within a threatening range.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US Says It has Clear Evidence Navy Ship Downed Iranian Drone, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 19 July
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! US Will Enforce Sanctions on Iran Tanker, Official Says VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - WASHINGTON - The United States will aggressively enforce its sanctions to prevent the private sector from assisting an Iranian oil tanker that is traveling through the Mediterranean and that Washington wants seized, a State Department...
- Older News
- Vote! Drone Attack Suspected at Iraqi Shi'ite Ammunition Depot VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - An ammunition dump belonging to Iraqi Shi'ite militia forces — known popularly as al Hushd al-Shaabi — exploded Tuesday evening, following Arab media reports of a drone strike on the...
- Vote! Greece Says it Won't Assist Iranian Tanker Sought by US VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Greece said on Wednesday it won’t endanger its relations with the United States by aiding an Iranian supertanker sought by the U.S. but released by Gibraltar that’s currently in the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Climate change turns Greenland into strategic, economic hotspot
- - Hong Kong protesters target airport week after arrivals hall mayhem
- - UN: Myanmar Military Intended to Perpetrate Genocide Against Rohingya Muslims
- - Jewish Groups Speak Out Against Trump Immigration Policy
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Under Way
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
- - US Tells Canada It's Urging China to Free Detained Canadians
- - New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
- - France, Greece To push for EU Solidarity on Migrant Crisis
- - South Korea Scrapping Intel Pact Strains US Alliance