US Envoy to Hold Talks in North Korea on Wednesday
The U.S. special envoy for North Korea will meet with his North Korean counterpart on Wednesday in Pyongyang to prepare for a summit later this month between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the U.S. State Department said on Monday. U.S. envoy Stephen Biegun said last week he aimed in working-level negotiations with his new North Korean counterpart Kim Hyok Chol to map out "a set of concrete deliverables" for the second summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un. Biegun said he would be aiming for "a roadmap of negotiations and declarations going forward, and a shared understanding of the desired outcomes of our joint efforts." An unprecedented first summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un last June in Singapore yielded a vague commitment by Kim to work toward the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, where U.S. troops have been stationed since the 1950-53 Korean War. In the U.S. view, Pyongyang has yet to take concrete steps to give up a nuclear weapons program that threatens the United States, while North Korea has complained that Washington has done little to reciprocate its freezing of nuclear and missile testing and dismantling of some nuclear facilities. Pyongyang has repeatedly urged a lifting of punishing U.S.-led sanctions, a formal end to the war, and security guarantees. On Thursday, Biegun said Kim Jong Un had committed during an October visit by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to the dismantling and destruction his country's plutonium and uranium enrichment facilities in return for "corresponding measures" from the United States. Biegun said such corresponding steps would be the subject of this week's talks and Washington was willing to discuss "many actions" to improve ties and entice Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons. At the same time, he set out an extensive... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US Envoy to Hold Talks in North Korea on Wednesday, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 5 February, 2019
- In the last 2 hours
- Vote! U.S. envoy to visit Qatar, Afghanistan for peace talks REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Today) - The U.S. special envoy will travel to Qatar and Afghanistan on Tuesday to resume peace talks with the Taliban and the Afghan government, the State Department said, as the United...
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Pompeo, Unlike Trump, Concerned About North Korea Missile Tests VOA NEWS (Today) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday he is concerned about the spate of short-range missile tests North Korea has launched in recent weeks, disagreeing with President Donald Trump,...
- Older News
- Vote! US North Korea Envoy to Visit Japan, South Korea Next Week VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - The U.S. special envoy for North Korea will travel to Japan and South Korea next week to coordinate efforts to secure the denuclearization of North Korea, the State Department said...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Census Figures Show Economic Gap Narrows with Citizenship
- - Post-Brexit US-UK Trade Deal Under Threat
- - FBI: Truck Driver Threatened Mass Shooting at Memphis Church
- - 25th James Bond Film Gets a Title: 'No Time to Die'
- - Earth's Future Being Written in Fast-Melting Greenland
- - Israeli, US Militaries Simulate Ship Hijacking Amid Tensions
- - Italian PM Conte to Resign After League Party Pulls Backing
- - U.S. envoy to visit Qatar, Afghanistan for peace talks
- - U.S. warns Sri Lanka on investment, military ties after army chief promotion
- - It’s All About Presidential Memorabilia