US Couple Accused of Enticing Chinese Into Sex Trafficking
A New Hampshire husband and wife used a messaging system popular in China to entice women to come to the U.S. on tourist visas to serve in the sex industry in northern New England, according to court documents. Sou Chao Li, 37, and his wife, Derong Maio, 37, orchestrated an elaborate scheme involving at least 27 women and hotels and rented houses across Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, prosecutors wrote. The pair made their initial appearance in court Thursday and will remain detained until their next hearing on Tuesday. The indictment unsealed Thursday upon their arrest indicated the pair arranged for travel for the women and collected proceeds either themselves or through intermediaries, the documents indicate. Daphne Hallett Donahue, attorney for the husband, said he was ``bewildered and exhausted'' when she met him in court after his arrest Thursday. She said she couldn't yet comment on details of the case. An attorney for the wife declined comment. According to the indictment, the prostitution took place between July 2016 and February 2018, and the defendants controlled the movement of the women and isolated them. The women's services were advertised on Backpage.com, a website that was shut down earlier this year. The couple faces multiple sex trafficking charges including defrauding and coercing two of the women. The couple took a passport from at least one woman to ensure her cooperation, the indictment said. The most serious of the federal sex trafficking charges carry a penalty of up to life in prison upon conviction.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, US Couple Accused of Enticing Chinese Into Sex Trafficking, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 15 December, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Cambodia jails translator over "fake news" sex trafficking film Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - PHNOM PENH: A Cambodian court jailed a fixer and translator for two years on Wednesday for his role in making a documentary about sex trafficking in the Southeast Asian country...
- Vote! Evidence of prostitution found in Pattaya: Special forces descend on popular Soi 6 bar Samui Times (2 days ago) - The special administrative department of the Pattaya authorities finally showed the police how to find evidence of prostitution in Pattaya. Just a few members of the squad uncovered what hundreds...
- Vote! VIDEO: Pattaya Soi 6 bar raided, undercover prostitution and underage sex Phuket Gazette (2 days ago) - Police in Pattaya have raided the Coming Bar in Soi 6. They allegedly uncovered evidence of prostitution and underage sex on the premises. Authorities noted that prostitution was available at...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism
- - 75 tonnes of marijuana and Kratom destroyed in Nakhon Phanom
- - Bank of Thailand eyes measures to curb hot money
- - Police chief transferred for allowing prostitution in Pattaya, foreign bar owners deported and blacklisted
- - Eric Trump Says He Was Spit on at Chicago Cocktail Lounge
- - Study: Cervical Cancer Vaccines Show Major Real-World Impact
- - Rodrigo Duterte backflips on Chinese fishing in Philippine waters, insisting exclusive rights will not be waived
- - Thai car manufacturers upbeat about sales
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Tuk-tuk baby birth! Cop barbershop? Deep south SIM card registry? || June 26
- - US Supreme Court Limits Access to Commercial Data Shared With Federal Agencies