Umbrella Movement Protestors to Stand Trial Alongside Six Other Protest Leaders
The original architects of Hong Kong’s 2014 Umbrella Movement are set to go on trial next Monday and face possible jail time as the city’s courts continue to prosecute protest leaders four years after the massive demonstrations came to an end. Benny Tai, Chan Kinman and Reverend Chu Yiu-ming all face charges of conspiracy to commit a public nuisance, incitement to commit a public nuisance, and “incitement to incite” public nuisance. They now face up to seven years in prison. The trio originally proposed what became known as the "Umbrella Movement" in 2013 under the banner “Occupy Central With Love and Peace.” While the protests took their cue from "Occupy Wall Street" in New York, Hong Kong protesters demanded universal suffrage to elect the city’s top leader. Chan said the group expected a backlash for their leadership role but they could not have anticipated how much harder the courts have... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Umbrella Movement Protestors to Stand Trial Alongside Six Other Protest Leaders, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Gunmen kill four soldiers in attack in Pakistan's Baluchistan
- - Pulwama attack: Four India soldiers killed in Kashmir gun battle
- - Why is Russia standing aloof on the Korean Peninsula?
- - Pulwama attack: India warns of backlash against Kashmiri Muslims
- - Abe nominates Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- - Human error and outdated IT led to Hakeem al-Araibi's detention, says border force official
- - Seven killed in new Kashmir battle
- - In Pakistan, women are forced to take desperate measures to stop having babies – and it can cost them their lives
- - We backed Maria Ressa’s Rappler. If you believe in the Philippines, you should too
- - Landmark stem cell trial for spinal injuries starts in Japan
- Older News
- Vote! Macron condemns anti-Semitic abuse by 'yellow vest' protestors Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - PARIS: French President Emmanuel Macron condemned anti-Semitic abuse of a leading intellectual by "yellow vest"...