UK supermarket ban on palm oil angers producers in Indonesia, Malaysia
PALM OIL producers have hit back at a UK supermarket’s announcement it will no longer use the ingredient in their home-brand products, claiming that the move was “discriminatory” and misleading. The Guardian first reported on April 10 that Iceland would become the first major chain in the UK to pledge there would be no palm oil used in its own-brand foods, in order to help prevent further deforestation of Southeast Asian forests. Iceland, which specialises in frozen food and operates around 900 stores, said it has already removed palm oil from half of its own-brand products. SEE ALSO: ‘Crop Apartheid’: Malaysia lashes out after EU votes to ban palm oil biofuels The 10-member Council of Palm Oil Producer Countries (CPOPC) this week protested the announcement, declaring that Iceland was misleading consumers. Moreover, the body claimed that the move could actually speed up environmental degradation and boost CO2 emissions. “The campaign to... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, UK supermarket ban on palm oil angers producers in Indonesia, Malaysia, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Overstaying Spaniard arrested for handcuffing and raping Thai woman in Bangkok
- - Chinese tourists spend big during Chinese New Year holiday
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Dogs attack another boy! Murder suspect on the run! Life in prison? || Feb. 21
- - Serial sex pest arrested in Nonthaburi – he blames Viagra
- - Patong Police Chief to reign in tourists hooning on motorbikes
- - Chinese embassy ‘disgusted’ after Australian senator Barry O’Sullivan blames ‘Chinaman’ for food safety risk
- - Big Joke: “Dark skinned foreigner” lured pre-teen boys into van for 200 baht oral sex
- - Hong Kong Jewellery Design Competition winners revealed
- - The Asia's Biggest Integrated Security Exhibition - SECON 2019
- - Police seek clues as fire burns down house
- Older News
- Vote! Explained: Asean SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) is a multilateral organisation that encompasses Brunei, Cambodia,...
- Vote! Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman suddenly postpones Malaysia and Indonesia visits SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is postponing his trips to Indonesia and Malaysia,...