UK PM May Takes Swipe at Front-Runner Boris Johnson
Outgoing British Prime Minster Theresa May has leveled a thinly disguised swipe at Conservative Party front-runner Boris Johnson as she underscored the necessity of character in taking on the country's top post.May told the Daily Mail in an interview published Friday that the job of prime minister is not about power but about public service. Though she didn't mention Johnson by name, he has made a career out of being the biggest personality in the room.``All too often, those who see it as a position of power see it as about themselves and not about the people they are serving,'' she said. ``There is a real difference.''May stepped down from being Conservative Party leader after her failure to get Parliament to approve a plan for Britain's departure from the European Union. Johnson and Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt are in a runoff for that post, which will also make the winner Britain's next prime minister. The runoff vote will be announced July 23.May underscored she had done all she possibly could to try to get her Brexit deal approved and did nothing to conceal her frustration with the fact that some of her most strident opponents on Brexit are those now backing Johnson.She added it's unlikely that her successor will negotiate further Brexit concessions from the EU.``I had assumed mistakenly that the tough bit of the negotiation was with the EU, that Parliament would accept the vote of the British people and just want to get it done, that people who'd spent their lives campaigning for Brexit would vote to get us out on March 29 and May 27,'' she told the Mail. ``But they didn't.''May, who will return to Parliament as a lawmaker, also took issue with those who chided her for becoming emotional as she announced her departure from... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, UK PM May Takes Swipe at Front-Runner Boris Johnson, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 12 July
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! UK Parliament Can't Stop Brexit, Johnson to Tell Macron, Merkel VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - LONDON - Prime Minister Boris Johnson will tell French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel that his nation’s Parliament cannot stop Brexit and a new deal must be agreed if Britain...
- Older News
- Vote! UK Labour's Plan to Stop No-Deal Brexit Gets Mixed Reception VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - Britain's fractious opposition politicians are giving a mixed reception to a plan by Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn to block a no-deal Brexit.Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed that Britain...
- Vote! Ex-Treasury Chief: Boris Johnson Wrecking Brexit Deal Chance VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - The man who was Britain's top finance official until three weeks ago accused Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Conservative government on Wednesday of steering the country toward a damaging no-deal Brexit...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Bangkok bombings top public's concerns: Poll
- - Nakhon Nayok, 11 other provinces on water runoff alert
- - Prayut to visit drought-hit Surin, Buri Ram tomorrow
- - Lower-Priced Colleges Offer Options to Student Debt
- - 3 Palestinians Killed By Israeli Forces At Gaza Border
- - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? The merits of the Sufficiency Economy philosophy: Part 1
- - New York Organizes Tandem Biking With The Visually Impaired
- - Mekong water level rising steadily
- - Peace with whom? After blast, enraged Afghans question talks
- - Afghan president says Taliban can't escape blame for deadly bombing