UK, Japan Mobile Operators Suspend Huawei 5G Phone Launches
British and Japanese mobile phone companies said Wednesday they're putting on hold plans to sell new devices from Huawei, in the latest fallout from U.S. tech restrictions aimed at the Chinese company. Britain's EE and Vodafone and Japan's KDDI and Y! Mobile said they are pausing the launch of Huawei smartphones, including some that can be used on next generation mobile networks, amid uncertainty about devices from the world's No. 2 smartphone maker. The U.S. government last week restricted technology sales to Chinese telecom gear suppliers because of alleged security risks, though telecom carriers got a 90-day grace period to let them find other suppliers. The sales ban is part of a broader trade war between Washington and Beijing. British mobile chip designer Arm said separately it was complying with the U.S. rules, after the BBC reported it was suspending business with Huawei — a move that could hobble the Chinese tech company's ability to produce chips for new devices. Vodafone said in a statement that it's “pausing pre-orders” for the Mate 20X, Huawei's first phone for 5G networks, as “a temporary measure while uncertainty exists regarding new Huawei 5G devices.” EE CEO Marc Allera said sales would not resume until it gets “the information and confidence and the long-term security” that customers will be supported over the device's lifetime. The company was also set to sell the Mate 20X followed by Huawei's Mate X folding handset. EE said it's working with Huawei and Google, which makes the Android mobile operating systems to make sure it “can carry out the right level of testing and quality assurance.” The Trump administration's order last week cuts Huawei's access to American chips and Google, which makes the Android operating system and services for its smartphones. Y! Mobile, owned by Japanese technology company... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, UK, Japan Mobile Operators Suspend Huawei 5G Phone Launches, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 22 May
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Huawei phone sales plunge Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - SHENZHEN: Huawei's founder said Monday the Chinese telecom giant's overseas smartphone sales have tumbled since the US last month threatened to blacklist the company, and he warned the embattled firm...
- Older News
- Vote! Huawei running 5G testbeds in Thailand Phuket Gazette (7 days ago) - China phone-giant Huawei, along with Thailand’s Digital Economy and Society Ministry and interested partners, is now turning the much-awaited 5G Testbed into a reality. As the first and only vendor...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - China-Philippines ‘hit and run’: Duterte’s downplaying of the incident is sign of his Beijing dilemma
- - Philippine fishing boat’s sinking in South China Sea was ‘just a collision’, Duterte says
- - Strong earthquake hits southern China; injuries reported
- - Far-right motive seen in German pro-migrant official's murder
- - Book nerd PM: Prayut’s new image?
- - Japan protests Chinese activity near disputed East China Sea islands
- - ADB says loan talks ongoing after Pakistan claims $3.4 billion agreed
- - Even without a House majority, junta can still function minimally.
- - More than 40 per cent of India’s new MPs face criminal charges but they got elected anyway
- - Modi, Duterte, Widodo have something in common – and it’s not just winning elections