Two Ebola Patients in Congo “Cured” with Drugs, Say Doctors
Two Ebola patients who were treated with new drugs in the city of Goma in eastern Congo have been declared “cured” and returned to their home.Top doctors fighting Ebola quickly used the case on Tuesday to press the message that people can recover from the potentially deadly disease if they seek proper care. Ebola is dangerous but it is also curable with correct treatment, said Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe, director of Congo's National Institute for Biomedical Research.“Ebola kills quickly and Ebola heals quickly. That's the message,” said Muyembe, at a press conference in Goma.“These cases were detected very quickly. The husband was infected, he was at home for 10 days and his wife and son were infected,” said Muyembe. “As soon as the response teams detected these cases, they brought them here to the treatment center. We gave them treatment that is effective and here in a short time both are cured.”Muyembe said two new drugs “are now be used to treat Ebola patients because, according to the studies and the results we obtained in the lab, these are the two drugs that are effective.”Muyembe and other scientists announced this week that preliminary results from two trials in Congo found two drugs made by Regeneron and the U.S. National Institutes of Health seem to be saving lives. Researchers said more study is needed to nail down how well those two compounds work. The drugs are antibodies that block Ebola. In the trial, significantly fewer people died among those given the Regeneron drug or the NIH's, about 30%, compared to those who received another treatment. Esperance Nabintu rejoiced that she and her young son had survived Ebola.“May the Lord be praised, I thank the Lord very much. I and my child were sick with Ebola, but God has just healed... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Two Ebola Patients in Congo “Cured” with Drugs, Say Doctors, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 13 August
- Older News
- Vote! US Health Secretary Applauds Uganda’s Ebola Control Efforts VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services Alex Azar has applauded Uganda's efforts to control the spread of Ebola in east and central Africa; however, while the U.S. remains the...
- Vote! DRC Police: 36 People Missing After Boat Sinks in Congo River VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Thirty-six people are missing after a boat sank in the Congo river on the outskirts of Kinshasa, DR Congo police said on Sunday.The vessel, which was traveling to the capital,...
- Vote! Congo: Confirmed Ebola Deaths Near 2,000, Cases Over 3,000 VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - Congo's National Ebola Response Committee says confirmed Ebola deaths in the east of the sprawling African nation are nearing 2,000 and confirmed cases of the virus have exceeded 3,000.The committee...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Nigerian Boxing Mixes 'Bloodsport' with Mixed Martial Arts while Generating Income for Fighters
- - Explosion Kills 24 People at Election Rally in Northern Afghanistan
- - Blast kills 24 near election rally for Afghan president: health official
- - Blast outside rally in central Afghanistan kills at least 24
- - The Future of Colombia's Peace Accord in Doubt
- - Edhi Foundation Providing Homes for Pakistan's Orphans
- - Pakistan, India Join Russia-Led Military Drills Despite Kashmir Tensions
- - Ghani Escapes Election Violence That Killed 24
- - Taliban attacks kill 30, Afghan leader unhurt as bomb hits rally
- - Explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul, six killed