Trump: US Trade Talks with China Making 'Big Progress'
President Donald Trump said Sunday "big progress" is being made in U.S. trade talks with China on what he calls "so many different fronts." "Our country has such fantastic potential for future growth and greatness on an even higher level," the president tweeted. Trump said last week he might put off the March 1 deadline to increase tariffs on China if a trade deal is close. But a China trade expert who served in the Obama administration says he has only seen "incremental progress" toward a trade deal with China. "The realistic approach is that the deadline gets extended and the negotiations possibly go into the end of this year, I would suspect," former Assistant Trade representative for China Jeff Moon tells VOA. Moon believes negotiators on both sides are failing to address the real reason the U.S. imposed stiff sanctions on China in the first place -- allegations that it is stealing U.S. intellectual property, and China's demands that U.S. firms turn over trade secrets if they want to keep doing business in China. "It's not possible to resolve those issues in two weeks. Those are very complex issues that require longer talks...so a quick settlement is not a good settlement. It just glosses things over," Moon said. He forecast things getting "messy" over the long run if those matters are not settled. He also said Trump has "muddied" the negotiations by letting politics creep into the trade talks with such issues as North Korea. Trump has threatened to hike tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese imports to the U.S. from 10 to 25 percent if there is no trade deal reached by March 1. China has accused the U.S. of violating global trade rules, saying it is preventing the Chinese economy from thriving. Current U.S. sanctions on China... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump: US Trade Talks with China Making 'Big Progress', simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Sunday, 17 February
- Older News
- Vote! Chinese Entrepreneurs Assess Impact of Trade Tensions with US VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - Trade tensions between the United States and China are deepening. After months of talks, the two sides appear no closer to reaching a deal. VOA spoke with business owners in...
- Vote! Ignore the bravado, a US-China trade deal is still possible. But it’ll take a Xi-Trump one-on-one SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (4 days ago) - DOOM AND GLOOM are clouding the China-United States trade relationship once more. Until two weeks ago, both Beijing and Washington had been saying a trade deal was within reach after...
- Vote! US trade talks with China have stalled: Sources CNBC - ASIA (4 days ago) - Scheduling for the next round of negotiations is "in flux" because it is unclear what the two sides would negotiate, two sources briefed on the status of the talks said....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Fake general swindling for animals skins? WCGC Thailand Final! Heavy storms coming! || May 21
- - New date for Coronation Day holiday announced
- - Mother disappears after abandoning newborn in rubber plantation
- - Minister to push for two more Mekong bridges
- - Police seize haul of weapons, drugs in post-Songkran blitz
- - Four dead as pickup truck slams into tour bus heading to Phuket
- - Drug bust in Kathu nets 2,000 meth pills
- - 150 bedrrom Patong Hotel for sale
- - Phoenix goes up for auction, starting price 900,000 baht
- - Top 10 restaurants in Phuket