Trump to Discuss Immigration with Guatemalan President at White House on Monday
U.S. President Donald Trump will meet with Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales at the White House on Monday for talks on immigration and security, the White House said on Friday. Government sources from both countries have said Morales may sign an agreement with Trump on Monday declaring the Central American country a safe destination for asylum seekers, while five former Guatemalan officials have gone to court to block such a deal. Trump said last month the United States and Guatemala were close to reaching a "safe third country agreement" as part of his efforts to curb U.S.-bound migration from Central America.Under such an agreement, Guatemala would be obliged to process asylum claims from migrants who entered its territory en route to the United States. Migrants from Honduras and El Salvador heading to the U.S.-Mexican border overland usually cross into Mexico via Guatemala.The White House said in a statement Trump and Morales "will discuss ways to create a more robust relationship focused on addressing migration and security priorities." "The two leaders will also discuss how Guatemala can build a stronger relationship with its Central American partners to expand economic growth, create jobs, and promote opportunities for their citizens," it added. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump to Discuss Immigration with Guatemalan President at White House on Monday, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 12 July
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Greenland Controversy Continues as Trump Cancels Copenhagen Trip, Calls Danish PM 'Nasty' VOA NEWS (Today) - The controversy over U.S. President Donald Trump abruptly postponing his trip to Copenhagen continues, as he criticized Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, calling her “nasty” and “inappropriate.” The Danish leader had...
- Vote! Trump Again Says He’d End Birthright Citizenship VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - President Donald Trump said Wednesday he was looking “very seriously” at ending the right to citizenship for babies born to non-U.S. citizens on American soil.Trump spoke to reporters as he...
- Vote! Trump Says He Wants Russia Back at G-7 Summits VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday he wants Russia back at the Group of Seven summits of the world's leading economies, even though it still controls Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula.Moscow was...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - USAID Ends Haiti Food Insecurity Program
- - Report Shows US Deficit to Top $1 Trillion Next Year
- - Rwanda Encourages Youth to Use Electric Motorcycles
- - Pacific Fishermen Report Best King Salmon Season in Years
- - Sarah Sanders Heads to Fox News as Contributor
- - Activists Want Democrats to Hold 2020 Primary Debate on Climate
- - 'People were hiding': Bangladesh bid to repatriate Rohingya stalls as refugees refuse
- - Study: Malaria-Free World Remains Distant Dream
- - South Africa Court: Apartheid-Era Flag Is Hate Speech
- - Planned Parenthood Seeks Cash After Bailing From US Program