Trump: Deal with Taliban on US Troop Withdrawal Might Not Be Acceptable
Nike Ching and Ayaz Gul contributed to this report.WHITE HOUSE — "Good discussions" are under way about Afghanistan, including between the United States and the Taliban, President Donald Trump said Tuesday. But he cautioned a U.S. troop withdrawal agreement might not be realized. "I don't know whether or not the plan is going to be acceptable to me, and maybe it's not going to be acceptable to them," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office alongside Romanian President Klaus Iohannis. Trump made his remarks shortly after the State Department announced that its special envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalizad, is traveling to Doha on Tuesday to resume talks with the Taliban on a peace agreement aimed at ending the 18-year conflict in the country.FILE - U.S. envoy for peace in Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad speaks during a debate at Tolo TV channel in Kabul, Afghanistan, April 28, 2019.Khalizad will also travel to Kabul to "consult with the leadership of the Afghan government on the peace process and encourage full preparation for intra-Afghan negotiations," according to the State Department. "At a certain point, you have to say that's long enough," Trump said of the 18 years of American military involvement in Afghanistan following the al-Qaida terrorist attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. Sticking pointsThe Taliban has been in talks with the U.S. on a timetable for the withdrawal of American and NATO forces from Afghanistan. Unless that happens, the insurgent group maintains it will not engage in much-sought intra-Afghan negotiations to discuss a permanent cease-fire and issues related to future political governance.In exchange for a foreign troop withdrawal, the Taliban will be tasked with preventing transnational terrorists from using insurgent-controlled Afghan territory for international terrorism.Taliban and U.S. negotiators in recent days have repeatedly asserted they are ready to sign a deal. FILE - A U.S.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump: Deal with Taliban on US Troop Withdrawal Might Not Be Acceptable, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 20 August
- Older News
- Vote! Afghan Taliban send team to Russia after U.S. talks collapse REUTERS ASIA NEWS (4 days ago) - The Taliban have sent a delegation to Russia to discuss prospects for a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan following the collapse of talks with the United States this month,...
- Vote! Germany warns against early troop withdrawal from Afghanistan REUTERS ASIA NEWS (4 days ago) - A withdrawal of NATO forces from Afghanistan could see the country falling back under the strict Islamic rule of the Taliban, German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said on Saturday. ...
- Vote! Taliban Envoys Visit Moscow After US Talks Collapse VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - A Taliban delegation traveled to Moscow and held talks with Russian officials Friday, a week after the United States abruptly called off a yearlong peace dialogue with the insurgent group...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Nigerian Boxing Mixes 'Bloodsport' with Mixed Martial Arts while Generating Income for Fighters
- - Explosion Kills 24 People at Election Rally in Northern Afghanistan
- - Blast kills 24 near election rally for Afghan president: health official
- - Blast outside rally in central Afghanistan kills at least 24
- - The Future of Colombia's Peace Accord in Doubt
- - Edhi Foundation Providing Homes for Pakistan's Orphans
- - Pakistan, India Join Russia-Led Military Drills Despite Kashmir Tensions
- - Ghani Escapes Election Violence That Killed 24
- - Taliban attacks kill 30, Afghan leader unhurt as bomb hits rally
- - Explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul, six killed