Trump Calls Sri Lankan PM, Expresses Condolences After Deadly Blasts
Steve Herman contributed to this report. U.S. President Donald Trump has called Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe to express his condolences to the Sri Lankan people after the Easter Sunday bombings that killed nearly 300 people and wounded hundreds of others. The White House said Prime Minister Wickremesinghe expressed appreciation for the president’s concern and updated him on the progress of the investigation into the attacks. "President Trump pledged United States support to Sri Lanka in bringing the perpetrators to justice, and the leaders re-affirmed their commitment to the fight against global terrorism," a White House readout of the phone call said. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also addressed the bombings in a press briefing Monday, confirming that some victims were American citizens. "This is America's fight too," Pompeo told reporters. "Today our nation grieves with the people of Sri Lanka and we stand committed, resolved to confront terrorism together.” "Our embassy and other parts of U.S. government are offering all possible assistance to Americans and the Sri Lankan government alike. We urge that any evil doers be brought to justice expeditiously, and America is prepared to support that," Pompeo added. The U.S. State Department has updated a travel advisory to Sri Lanka, urging Americans to "exercise increased caution in Sri Lanka due to terrorism." It said "terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks" in the country in the wake of Sunday's deadly blasts.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump Calls Sri Lankan PM, Expresses Condolences After Deadly Blasts, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 22 April
- Older News
- Vote! Sri Lanka's hardline Buddhist monk walks out of jail after pardon REUTERS ASIA NEWS (3 days ago) - A Sri Lankan hardline Buddhist monk who is accused of inciting violence against ethnic minority Muslims and was convicted of contempt of court walked free from jail on Thursday after...
- Vote! Trump blasts Democrats as impeachment talk heats up Bangkok Post (4 days ago) - WASHINGTON - Donald Trump erupted in fury on Wednesday at unrelenting probes into his links to Russia, as the top Democrat in Congress accused the president of a "cover-up" that...
- Vote! Fake news rampant after Sri Lanka attacks despite social media ban Bangkok Post (4 days ago) - COLOMBO, Sri Lanka: Sri Lankan social networks saw a surge in fake news after the Easter suicide bombings a month ago despite an official social media blackout, highlighting the inability...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Narendra Modi scores a remarkable election victory
- - Deals and Coupons: New Way to Boost up the Sales of Your Business
- - Private penthouse for sale Surin beach
- - Trump takes dig at Japan for 'substantial' trade advantage and calls for more investment in US
- - China condemns Germany for sheltering HK activists
- - Trump digs at Japan for 'substantial' trade advantage and calls for more investment in US
- - Mixed reactions to NCPO departure: Nida Poll
- - Searching for Coral That's Resistant to Climate Change
- - Papua New Guinea PM Peter O’Neill quits after weeks of turmoil, hands leadership to Sir Julius Chan
- - Gen Prem dies of heart failure at 98