Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
U.S. President Donald Trump insists discussions are going well at the G-7 summit in Biarritz, France, despite apparent differences with leaders on issues including the trade war with China, how to handle Iran, the threat posed by North Korea and bringing Russia back into the grouping of the world’s most advanced democracies.Sunday morning Trump appeared to be softening his stance on his trade war with China.“I have second thoughts about everything," when asked about the issue..Hours later his press secretary Stephanie Grisham said the president’s statement has been “greatly misinterpreted”. She added, “President Trump responded in the affirmative - because he regrets not raising" tariffs on Chinese goods "higher."The statement appears to be the White House’s attempt to control the message. Trump often emphasizes that he is the only American leader that can “take on China”, and is betting that his aggressive stance will help him win support from his base as he vies for reelection in 2020.G-7 leaders here have expressed concern about the escalation, with summit host French President Emmanuel Macron saying he hopes for leaders to pull back from an all-out war.“I want to convince all our partners that tensions, and trade tensions in particular are bad for everybody,” he said in a speech.Speaking alongside Trump during their working breakfast meeting, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson publicly refuted Trump’s statement that other leaders have not pressured him to give up the trade war with China, believed to be causing uncertainty in the global economy and volatility in stock markets.“Just to register the faint, sheep-like note of our view on the trade war, we're in favor of trade peace on the whole, and dialing it down if we can,” Johnson said.Johnson is seen as a natural ally to Trump due to similarities in their populist policies and Brexit. Disagreement... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Sunday, 25 August
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Trump says 'many options' on Iran response Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - LOS ANGELES - US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he has "many options" in addition to military strikes against Iran and that details of newly announced sanctions will come within...
- Older News
- Vote! Trump says almost sure Iran behind Saudi attacks Bangkok Post (3 days ago) - WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump said Monday that Iran was likely behind strikes on Saudi oil facilities, but that he wanted to be sure and he hoped to avoid...
- Vote! Trump: 'Incorrect' He Would Meet with Iran with No Preconditions VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - U.S. President Donald Trump is labeling as "incorrect" reports that he is willing to meet with Iranian leaders with "no conditions" to ease tensions, even though he and his aides...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks