Trump: Apple Can Avoid Tariffs by Shifting Production to US
President Donald Trump concedes that some Apple Inc. products may become more expensive if his administration imposes "massive'' additional tariffs on Chinese-made goods, but he says the tech company can fix the problem by moving production to the U.S. "Start building new plants now. Exciting!'' Trump said Saturday in a tweet aimed at the Cupertino, California, company. This week, Apple said that a proposed additional round of tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese imports would raise prices on some of its products, including the Apple Watch and the Mac mini. The company is highly exposed to a trade war between the U.S. and China. It makes many of its products for the U.S. market in China, and it also sells gadgets including the iPhone in China, making them a potential target for Chinese retaliation against the Trump tariffs. Trump tweeted Saturday that "Apple prices may increase because of the massive Tariffs we may be imposing on China — but there is an easy solution where there would be ZERO tax, and indeed a tax incentive,'' if the company made its products in the U.S. instead of China. Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. The company has not announced plans to move manufacturing from China to the U.S. 'Tax on U.S. consumers' In its letter this week to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, Apple said that "because all tariffs ultimately show up as a tax on U.S. consumers, they will increase the cost of Apple products that our customers have come to rely on in their daily lives.'' The company said tariffs would hit "a wide range of Apple products,'' including computers, watches, adapters, chargers and tools used in its U.S. manufacturing, repair and data centers. Apple said the tariffs would raise the cost of its... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Trump: Apple Can Avoid Tariffs by Shifting Production to US, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 8 September, 2018
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Trump: More Tariffs on China Possible If Trade Deal Not Reached VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - U.S. President Donald Trump says he would impose more tariffs on China if he and Chinese President Xi Jinping don't reach a trade agreement when they meet this weekend.Trump said...
- Older News
- Vote! US Plays Down Expectations of Trump-Xi Meeting VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Top U.S. officials are saying no one should expect any major deals when President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping meet later this week at the G-20 summit in...
- Vote! US-China Trade Dispute Triggering Production Exodus VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - U.S. tech giant Apple has reportedly asked its major suppliers, mainly China-based manufacturers from Taiwan, to consider moving 15 to 30% of their production outside of China to avoid higher tariffs imposed...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism
- - 75 tonnes of marijuana and Kratom destroyed in Nakhon Phanom
- - Bank of Thailand eyes measures to curb hot money
- - Police chief transferred for allowing prostitution in Pattaya, foreign bar owners deported and blacklisted
- - Eric Trump Says He Was Spit on at Chicago Cocktail Lounge
- - Three arrested with over 12,000 meth pills and crystal meth in Thalang, Phuket
- - Rescue team delivers baby girl in tuk-tuk stuck in Phuket traffic jam
- - Phuket in the Top Ten list of Best Places to Visit
- - Rodrigo Duterte backflips on Chinese fishing in Philippine waters, insisting exclusive rights will not be waived
- - Thai car manufacturers upbeat about sales