Trudeau to China: Respect Diplomatic Immunity of Detained Canadian
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday that Chinese officials are not respecting the diplomatic immunity of one of the Canadians detained in China last month as he ramped up efforts to get them released. China arrested former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and entrepreneur Michael Spavor on vague national security allegations. Huawei executive's arrest The arrests came after a top Chinese executive was arrested in Canada on Dec. 1 at the request of Washington, which wants Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou extradited to face charges that she misled banks about the company’s business dealings in Iran. She is out on bail in Canada and awaiting a bail extradition proceeding next month. Kovrig is an analyst on northeast Asia for the International Crisis Group think tank who took a leave of absence from the Canadian government. Canadian authorities haven’t previously said he was protected by diplomatic immunity. But Trudeau asserted that... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Trudeau to China: Respect Diplomatic Immunity of Detained Canadian, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions
- - The first round of GTI Taipei & Online Games Expo 2019
- - Exhibition and business meeting event providing the latest information to supermarkets and the food distribution industry
- - Café Malaysia 2019 celebrates the country’s dynamic coffee culture and its world class achievements
- - Top US Navy Officer Urges China to Avoid Confrontations
- - Spokesman: Myanmar Army Kills 13 Rebels in Rakhine Clashes
- - North Korea's Kim Yong-chol meets Mike Pompeo in Washington
- - Radical Cleric Linked to Bali Bombing to Be Freed from Prison
- - Talks Between US, NKorea Take Place in Sweden
- - StocExpo Europe 2019 Conference Unveiled
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Canada's government on Friday dismissed China's warning of repercussions if Ottawa banned Huawei Technologies Co...
- Older News
- Vote! US Says China’s Death Sentence Against Canadian Political VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - The U.S. State Department said Wednesday China’s death sentence on a Canadian man is “politically...
- Vote! Face value: One-time Afghan wedding singer a ringer for Canada's Trudeau REUTERS ASIA NEWS (3 days ago) - Afghan singer Abdul Salam Maftoon's striking resemblance to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has turned...