Trade Representatives From US, EU, Japan Discuss New Metal Tariffs
Trade representatives for Japan and the European Union met with the U.S. trade representative Saturday in an effort to avoid a trade war over President Donald Trump's new tariffs on aluminum and steel. At the meeting in Brussels, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom and Japanese counterpart Hiroshige Seko discussed the tariffs as part of a trilateral effort to combat unfair trade practices. The EU said in a statement that both Brussels and Tokyo had serious concerns about the U.S. tariffs. Both powers, two of the biggest trade partners with the United States, have asked for exemptions from the tariffs. After the meeting, Malmstrom tweeted, "No immediate clarity on the exact U.S. procedure for exemption ... so discussions will continue next week." Seko said at a news conference following the meeting, "I firmly and clearly expressed my view that this is regrettable. ... I explained that this... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Trade Representatives From US, EU, Japan Discuss New Metal Tariffs, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Inclusive plan urged to solve insurgency
- - December drop drags 2018 exports
- - Pattaya maps out water safety plan
- - Boffs to test Premchai's wife's tusks
- - CSD shuts illegal sports betting site
- - PPRP 'made a mistake' on farmers' land
- - Prawit promises better care for kids of illegal aliens
- - Asian stocks poised for cautious trading amid concerns about the global economic outlook
- - Sudarat, Chadchart dismiss rumours of rift
- - Prayut promises poll date 'coming soon'
- Older News
- Vote! Cambodia prepared for EU rice tariffs Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - The Cambodian government has downplayed the effects tariffs imposed by the European Union on the...
- Vote! WSJ: US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin Weighs Lifting Tariffs on China VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin discussed lifting some or all tariffs imposed on Chinese imports...