Tourism in Thailand gets back on track with 7.5% growth in visitor arrivals
The Ministry of Tourism and Sports announced the tourism figures for January-November 2018. Thailand received 34,431,489 international visitors, up by 7.53% over the same period of last year, generating an estimated 1.8 billion Baht in tourism revenue, up by 9.79%. The highlight of the results was the fact that seven countries (China, Malaysia, South Korea, Lao PDR., Japan, India, and Russia) have already generated more than one million visitor arrivals, and three more countries (USA, Vietnam and Singapore) were set to follow suit when the full year 2018 results were tabulated. 10 million visitors from China This landmark means that the country has exceeded the 9.5 million Chinese arrivals of 2017 and reached a forecast of 10 million visitors from China for this year– generating about THB 509 billion in revenue. The number also sets a new record for Thailand’s No 1 source market, where TAT has five offices, Beijing, Shanghai, Kunming, Chengdu and Guangzhou. Top 10 Markets for Thailand in January-November 2018 Rank Nationality No. of Arrivals % Change 1 China 9,697,321 7.86 2 Malaysia 3,569,736 15.52 3 Korea 1,621,237 4.75 4 Laos 1,593,971 4.48 5 Japan 1,502,111 6.82 6 India 1,429,078 12.03 7 Russia 1,267,868 10.33 8 USA 993,631 6.37 9 Vietnam 956,652 10.18 10 Singapore 934,504 3,73 Remark: Preliminary figures Source: Ministry of Tourism and Sports Summary of the key results in January-November 2018 Overview: All regions grew well except the Middle East and Oceania. Visitors from East Asia totalled 23.62 million (+9.21%), Europe 5.91 million (+4.03%), the Americas 1.41 million (+3.70%), South Asia 1.77 million (+11.32%), Oceania 838,713 (-1.40%), the Middle East 683,420 (-6.24%), and Africa 174,565 (+9.63%). East Asia: East Asian visitor arrivals comprised the biggest market share of all visitors. A total of 23.62 million or 68% were from East Asian countries. Apart from China... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Tourism in Thailand gets back on track with 7.5% growth in visitor arrivals, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Thailand Business News - Wednesday, 26 December
- Older News
- Vote! Chinese tourist arrivals plunge in February Bangkok Post (4 days ago) - Thailand saw a 0.17% increase in tourist arrivals in February year-on-year, after a 4.91% rise in January, the Tourism and Sports Ministry said on Wednesday....
- Vote! Tourism Authority of Thailand sees 2.3m for Songkran Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects more than 2.3 million locals and foreign visitors will join Songkran festivals this year, generating some 20 billion baht in revenue for tourism...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Tsunami alert declared for southern Thailand
- - Pheu Thai leads, but PPRP strong second
- - Polls Close in Thailand
- - Thais Cast Ballots Marking "A Return to Democracy"
- - Vigils Against Racism Held In New Zealand
- - Thai military party neck and neck with Pheu Thai opponent
- - PPRP poised to win most votes, Abhisit quits
- - Japan cancels deportation of Taiwanese man in same-sex relationship
- - 1,500 ballots from New Zealand invalidated after late arrival
- - Trash Talk: Tackling waste in Phuket