Tourism Council of Thailand promises to raise standards of tourist safety
By Chadamas Chinmaneevong, ttgasia.com The Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) says they are “joining hands with state agencies including the Department of Land Transport, Marine Department and Tourism Authority of Thailand to improve tourist safety standards nationwide and overturn perceptions of the country as a dangerous tourist destination.” The project is a reaction to the many, many safety related incidents that occur, and are reported overseas, to tourists visiting Thailand. The Tourism Council of Thailand says that countries like UK and China are expressing concerns about their citizens heading to Thailand for holidays. ttgasia.com reports that the first round of new safety standards will be implemented for tourist buses this April. Apart from vehicle checks, bus drivers must be trained regarding tour services, have limited driving hours and drive responsibly. TCT’s vice president Wasuchet Sophonsathien says that at least 1,000 tour buses out of 15,000 buses nationwide should meet the standards within this year. (Just doing the maths, that’s 14,000 buses nationwide that WON’T be checked this year?) Wasuchet, who is also the president of the Thai Transportation Operators Association, added that certified tour buses would also receive a safety standard logo. Government bodies like the TAT, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, and Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau, will promote the logo and set an example by using these certified buses. The logo will be publicised through Chinese government websites as well, he noted. In addition, TCT members in popular beach destinations including Pattaya, Phuket and Krabi have been working closely with the Thai Marine Department and local tour operators to look for illegal tour boats and unlicensed captains since the Phuket boat tragedy last July. Wasuchet further revealed TCT will be launching tour boat standards by the end of this year. Plans for the next two years include getting tour boat... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Tourism Council of Thailand promises to raise standards of tourist safety, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Thursday, 14 February
- Older News
- Vote! Bangladesh garment unions say new factory oversight deal risks worker safety REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Yesterday) - The end of an international arrangement aimed at ensuring the wellbeing of Bangladeshi garment workers is likely to undermine safety by making factory owners responsible for maintaining standards, trade union...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Thai Wah Public Company Limited Acquired 33.3% Shares in Tapioca Development Corporation Limited from Japan Corn Starch, Tokyo Japan
- - NIPPON Platform Has Established the Ninth Overseas Branch "NIPPON Platform OÜ" in Estonia
- - Indonesian Protesters, Police Clash in Second Night of Post-election Unrest
- - Study: Ozone-Killing Chemicals Traced to China
- - Smokin’ hut: Singapore’s solution for cigarette puffers
- - Panasonic joins firms stepping away from Huawei after US ban
- - India election result: moment of truth arrives for Narendra Modi and BJP as vote counting begins
- - The true measure of Indian democracy is found outside the ballot box
- - Slowdown won't keep Chinese from calling Bangkok 'second home'
- - Gama may become Muang Thong coach