Third North-South Korea Summit Set for Mid-September
The leaders of North and South Korea will hold their third summit in Pyongyang from September 18-20. Chung Eui-yong, the national security advisor to South Korean President Moon Jae-in, announced the dates Thursday in Seoul, a day after he led a delegation to the North Korean capital to finalize the arrangements. Chung said President Moon and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will focus on specific measures to achieve denuclearization. Chung personally delivered a letter from Moon to Kim during the trip. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency issued a statement Thursday saying it is Kim Jong Un's "will to completely remove the danger of armed conflict and horror of war from the Korean peninsula and turn it into the cradle of peace without nuclear weapons and free from nuclear threat." The summit will be the third between Moon and Kim this year; the previous two were held in Panmunjon, the truce village in the border zone that separates the autocratic North from the democratic South. The talks come amid a heated stalemate between the North and the United States over the pace of North Korea ending its nuclear and missile development programs, which the two sides agreed to during the historic meeting in April between Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump in Singapore. The impasse led President Trump to cancel Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's trip to North Korea last month. But Chung Eui-yong told reporters that Kim said his faith in Trump is "unchanged" and is aiming to both denuclearize and ending the hostilities between Pyongyang and Washington before Trump's term in office ends in January 2021. "Kim Jong Un of North Korea proclaims 'unwavering faith in President Trump.' Thank you to Chairman Kim. We will get it done together!," Trump responded Thursday on Twitter. During... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Third North-South Korea Summit Set for Mid-September, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 6 September, 2018
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! North Korea's Kim to Meet with Russian President Putin VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Russian President Vladimir Putin are to meet later this month in Moscow. The Kremlin announcement was made Thursday after North Korea said it...
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea says it has tested a new tactical guided weapon CNBC - ASIA (2 days ago) - It is North Korea's first public weapons test since the second U.S.-North Korea summit in Hanoi ended with no agreement in February....
- Vote! North Korea test-fires a new tactical guided weapon CNBC - ASIA (2 days ago) - It is North Korea's first public weapons test since the second U.S.-North Korea summit in Hanoi ended with no agreement in February....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Evangelical Group Says Laos Has Deported 3 American Missionaries
- - Thailand busts 'seasteading' effort by American
- - Wildfire contained at Phromthep Cape, fire warning re-issued
- - After Songkran, Phuket water reductions continue to stretch reserves until rains return
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Cobra eggs missing! Arrest in Phi Phi rape case! Worst Songkran road record? || April 18
- - 348 die in Songkran road carnage
- - What’s China got to do with elections in India’s southernmost state?
- - North Korea’s ‘new guided weapon’ designed for ground combat, not a ballistic missile, says South’s military
- - Japan’s trying to fight gambling addiction ahead of casinos’ expected arrival
- - Nissan slams output cut report as 'completely incorrect'