These are the biggest global risks of 2019
THERE’S a lot going on right now. At times it can feel like the world is tearing itself apart with more than enough problems to keep you up at night. You’re not alone. But if the issues of the day are playing on your mind, imagine how the people tasked to deal with them feel. When polled by the World Economic Forum (WEF), leaders of the world shared their fears for the future and top of their list of concerns were environmental threats and the potentially catastrophic fallout from failing on climate change mitigation. The Global Risks Report offers a unique perspective on the threats facing our world, by looking at not only those risks that are most likely, but also those that would have the biggest impact. SEE ALSO: Why the COP24 climate deal isn’t good enough For the third straight year, extreme weather events remained in the top spot. But failed climate change mitigation rose from number five in 2018 to second place this year. Here’s the full top 10 risks by likelihood: 1. Extreme weather events (e.g. floods, storms, etc.) 2. Failure of climate change mitigation and adaptation 3. Major natural disasters (e.g. earthquake, tsunami, volcanic eruption) 4. Massive incident of data fraud/theft 5. Large-scale cyberattacks 6. Man-made environmental damage and disasters (e.g. oil spills, radioactive contamination) 7. Large-scale involuntary migration 8. Major biodiversity loss and ecosystem collapse 9. Water crises 10. Asset bubbles in major economy Failure to tackle climate change is already proving both financially and socially expensive. Devastating wildfires, tsunamis and other natural disasters killed over 10,000 people in 2018. The catastrophes fuelled above-average economic losses of US$160 billion, according to insurer Munich Re AG. Those from wildfires, in particular, have risen as summers become hotter and drier, with the November fires in California proving last year’s most... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, These are the biggest global risks of 2019, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: ASIAN CORRESPONDENT - Sunday, 20 January, 2019
- Older News
- Vote! Bank of Mexico Lowers Interest Rate, Citing Global Concerns VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - Mexico's central bank said Thursday it was lowering its benchmark interest rate by a quarter-point to 8%, citing slowing global economic activity and tensions including the trade war between the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Malaysia bans controversial Indian Muslim preacher Zakir Naik from public activities
- - Scores of Civilians Killed, Injured in Libyan Oasis Town
- - Hong Kong's Evolving Protests: Voices From the Front Lines
- - U.S. resumes Afghan peace talks with Taliban, government: State Dept
- - PTT to invest 30bn ($967M) baht in EEC
- - Post-Brexit US-UK Trade Deal Under Threat
- - FBI: Truck Driver Threatened Mass Shooting at Memphis Church
- - 25th James Bond Film Gets a Title: 'No Time to Die'
- - Earth's Future Being Written in Fast-Melting Greenland
- - Israeli, US Militaries Simulate Ship Hijacking Amid Tensions