Thailand plans regional alternative to Belt and Road
THAILAND plans to create a regional fund along with several of its neighbours in order to reduce reliance on Chinese investment in Southeast Asia. The Nikkei Asian Review reported earlier this month that Bangkok hopes to launch the fund “as soon as possible”, which would help fund infrastructure and development projects in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Vietnam. Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha is expected to propose the idea to leaders of these nations the 8th Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMECS) Summit on June 16, a forum for cooperation on issues including trade, transport and investment. SEE ALSO: Vietnam protests over feared 99-year leases for China China has funded major infrastructure projects in Southeast Asia under the Belt and Road Initiative including the Sino-Thai railway for which construction began in December 2017. Beijing aims to establish a China-Indochina Peninsula Corridor which will run from southern China to Singapore. Thailand’s proposed... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Thailand plans regional alternative to Belt and Road, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Human error and outdated IT led to Hakeem al-Araibi's detention, says border force official
- - Gunmen kill four soldiers in attack in Pakistan's Baluchistan
- - Pulwama attack: Four India soldiers killed in Kashmir gun battle
- - Why is Russia standing aloof on the Korean Peninsula?
- - Pulwama attack: India warns of backlash against Kashmiri Muslims
- - Pulwama attack: Nine killed in Kashmir gun battle
- - Abe nominates Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- - Seven killed in new Kashmir battle
- - Taxi blames oil spill for wipeout
- - In Pakistan, women are forced to take desperate measures to stop having babies – and it can cost them their lives
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Thailand seeks Indian support for new RCEP regional trade bloc Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - Thailand is looking for India's support to help settle talks and conclude the Regional Comprehensive...
- Older News
- Vote! Legal bump in the belt and road? A Mideast port giant, a Chinese rival and a Hong Kong lawsuit over a Djibouti deal SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - A lawsuit against China’s main state-owned port builder by the Middle East’s largest port operator...
- Vote! Lawsuit against Chinese port builder in Djibouti highlights risks in Beijing’s plan to expand influence through ‘belt and road’ SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - A lawsuit against China’s main state-owned port builder by the Middle East’s largest port operator...