Thailand: Arrest warrant issued for former-PM Thaksin Shinawatra ahead of elections
THAILAND’S Supreme Court on Tuesday issued a new arrest warrant for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra after resuming his trial in absentia on alleged manipulation of policy for personal gain 15 years ago. The revival of the case was made possible under a new law that took effect last year, allowing the trial of politicians after they have fled the country. According to the Bangkok Post, the arrest warrant was issued after Thaksin failed to show up at court, or send a lawyer representative. SEE ALSO: Thailand’s election delays widely criticised The former PM has been in self-imposed exile since 2008 after he was put on trial for allegedly wrongfully changing regulations on telecom concession fees in favour of companies he owned, causing a loss to the state of 68 billion Thai baht (US$2.2 billion), during his time in office. The charge is one of many cases shelved after Thaksin... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Thailand: Arrest warrant issued for former-PM Thaksin Shinawatra ahead of elections, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Analysis: China Pulling out All Stops in Canada Tensions
- - Don’t rip off tourists – be good hosts! – Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais
- - Exclusive: Sri Lanka says has $300 million loan offer from Bank of China, may increase to $1 billion
- - Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers
- - Belarus Model Arrested for Thai Sex Seminar Pleads Guilty
- - 'Made in China 2025' Feels Trade War Pinch
- - Germany hold 'Iran spy' over Afghan ops
- - US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he’ll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand
- - “What do you expect us to do? – Police do nothing after pervert intrudes into Lampang woman’s bedroom
- - China Warns Citizens About Travel to Canada
- Older News
- Vote! Thaksin kicks off weekly show Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - The 6pm airtime on Friday may belong to Prayut Chan-o-cha. But from now on Monday...
- Vote! Is Thai ex-PM Yingluck a Cambodian passport holder? ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (6 days ago) - THAILAND’S deposed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is reportedly a Cambodian passport holder, a Hong Kong...