Thai Police: Saudi Asylum Seeker Is Flying to Canada
A Saudi asylum seeker who fled alleged abuse by her family is leaving Bangkok on Friday and will fly to Canada, Thailand’s immigration police chief said. Police Chief Surachate Hakparn said the 18-year-old woman, Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun, would leave late Friday evening. He gave no other details. He earlier said several countries including Canada and Australia were in talks with the U.N. refugee agency on accepting Alqunun. A spokesman for Canada’s foreign minister said he could not confirm she was coming to Canada. Alqunun’s case has highlighted the cause of women’s rights in Saudi Arabia. Several female Saudis fleeing abuse by their families have been caught trying to seek asylum abroad in recent years and returned home. Human rights activists say many similar cases have gone unreported. Alqunun was stopped last Saturday at a Bangkok airport by immigration police who denied her entry and seized her passport. She barricaded herself... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Thai Police: Saudi Asylum Seeker Is Flying to Canada, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions
- - The first round of GTI Taipei & Online Games Expo 2019
- - Exhibition and business meeting event providing the latest information to supermarkets and the food distribution industry
- - Café Malaysia 2019 celebrates the country’s dynamic coffee culture and its world class achievements
- - Top US Navy Officer Urges China to Avoid Confrontations
- - Spokesman: Myanmar Army Kills 13 Rebels in Rakhine Clashes
- - North Korea's Kim Yong-chol meets Mike Pompeo in Washington
- - Radical Cleric Linked to Bali Bombing to Be Freed from Prison
- - Talks Between US, NKorea Take Place in Sweden
- - StocExpo Europe 2019 Conference Unveiled
- Older News
- Vote! Thailand pledges to soften harsh refugee policies Phuket Gazette (2 days ago) - PHOTO: Toronto Star Thailand’s immigration chief is pledging an upgrade of the country’s draconian treatment...
- Vote! Thailand signals more tolerant refugee policy Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - The immigration police chief vowed Wednesday not to force refugees to return home "involuntarily", after...
- Vote! Saudi refugee in Canada expects more women to flee homeland Bangkok Post (5 days ago) - CANBERRA: A Saudi woman accepted as a refugee in Canada has said in an Australian...