Thai Officials Sought To Strike Down Medical Marijuana Patent Applications by Foreign Firms
Thai Department of Intellectual Property (DIP) officials “rushed” the inspection of a controversial foreign medical marijuana patent application that the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) said violated Thai laws, official communications seen by VOA indicate. The patent application, which is still pending, was submitted by the British firm GW Pharmaceuticals and Japan’s Otsuka Pharmaceutical for what opponents of the claim say is effectively an attempt to copyright a raw extract of cannabis that they argue should not be considered an “invention.” The concern is that the patents, and others pertaining to medical cannabis, would lead to foreign corporate monopolization of Thailand's new medical marijuana industry, which was legalized in December. In a May 28 meeting last year, pharmacist Lucksamephen Sarnchawanakit from the GPO’s Drug Patent Information Subdivision told DIP staff the application sought to patent phytocannabinoid, an active ingredient found naturally, for use in the treatment of spasms. “It is clear... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Thai Officials Sought To Strike Down Medical Marijuana Patent Applications by Foreign Firms, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Overstaying Spaniard arrested for handcuffing and raping Thai woman in Bangkok
- - Serial sex pest arrested in Nonthaburi – he blames Viagra
- - Four injured as car smashes into electric pole
- - Depressed out-of-work chef found hanged
- - Weather for February 20
- - Big Joke: “Dark skinned foreigner” lured pre-teen boys into van for 200 baht oral sex
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Elephant goes wild! Phuket wildfire! Bounded body found? || Feb. 20
- - Interpol Red Notice sought for Greek suspect over Phuket beautician murder
- - Italian tourist gored as trekking elephant goes wild
- - China Faces Challenges in Containing Swine Flu Infection
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! The legalisation of marijuana for medical purposes, is now in effect Phuket Gazette (Today) - Grass, pot, ganja, marijuana… cannabis. Whatever you want to call it, it can now be...
- Older News
- Vote! Legal pot - for money or medicine? Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - Is Thailand legalising medical marijuana to help the sick or just make money? Bhumjaithai leader...
- Vote! Amnesty for possession of cannabis in Thailand? Phuket Gazette (6 days ago) - The Government is looking at a plan to grant amnesty to those who have been...