Thai military steps in to settle over half a million informal debt cases
The military has helped in mediating informal debts owed by over half a million people and has managed to return to the debtors over 5,000 land title deeds involving more than 20,000 rai of land held by their creditors as collateral according to Thai News agency ThaiPBS Household debt tripled since 2005 In 2005, household debt amounted to 3.4 trillion baht. Today, the amount has more than tripled. Thai households now owe 10.8 trillion baht to financial institutions. Consumer borrowing is accelerating significantly in Thailand and around a quarter of consumers are having trouble making repayments on their debts, with credit cards and car loans the main areas of concern, according to an FT Confidential Research survey. According to Bank of Thailand data on household borrowing in 1Q18, the ratio of household debt to GDP dropped from 78.0 percent in 4Q17 to 77.6 percent (while the seasonally adjusted figure stood at 77.7 percent). However, the outstanding household debt in 1Q18 stepped up to THB12.17 billion, or 5.2 percent higher than the same period of 2017, compared to the 4.6-percent growth recorded in 4Q17. The surge of outstanding household debt was consistent with the high growth seen in retail lending of commercial banks and private consumption, especially spending for durable goods, namely homes and automobiles, according to Kasikorn Bank Research Center Household debt to GDP was 80.8 per cent and 78 per cent in 2015 and 2017, respectively, and it is expected to drop further to 77.6 per cent this year. However, for those families coping with debts, the ratio of average debt to annual income has been accelerating at a steady pace. Debt to income was 82.7 per cent in 2015, rising to 94.7 per cent last year, according to a survey conducted by the National Statistical Office. Lt-Gen Kongcheep Tantravanich, spokesman of the Defence Ministry, said Sunday that there were about 900,000 informal... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Thai military steps in to settle over half a million informal debt cases, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Thailand Business News - Sunday, 25 November
- Older News
- Vote! BoT mulls new methods to curb debt service ratio Bangkok Post (5 days ago) - The Bank of Thailand has floated the idea of curbing the debt service ratio (DSR) by requiring lenders to change the computation method based on a borrower's overall debt repayment...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Post-Election, Indonesian President Expected to Go Soft on China Despite Maritime Flaps
- - Kim Jong Un in Russia for Putin Meeting
- - Seastead lifted ashore at Phuket port
- - Philippines' Duterte says to sail garbage back to Canada
- - Indonesia election fraud allegations are "baseless”: minister
- - Who is Zahran Hashim, the radical cleric linked to Sri Lanka bombings?
- - JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa appoints Silvano Amolini as new executive chef
- - Violent protests break out in Solomon Islands as Manasseh Sogavare elected new prime minister
- - Foreign groups likely behind Sri Lanka attacks, U.S. ambassador says
- - Election rerun in Chiang Mai as Pheu Thai winner banned