Thai election in limbo as preparations halted
Submitted on Tue, 2019-01-08 16:11The Department of Provincial Administration issued a circular letter to provincial registrars yesterday telling them to hold back on their preparations for the upcoming general election, because the Election Commission says the Royal Decree has not been issued. The letter was issued by the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA), signed by Venus Seesuk, Deputy Director of the Bureau of Central Registration and sent to local registrars and the Bangkok registrar yesterday, 7 January 2019. Following a previously issued letter telling registration offices to start preparations for the upcoming general election, DOPA now asks local administrators not to move forward with the preparations until informed otherwise, as the Election Commission (EC) has informed the Department that the Royal Decree for a general election has not yet been issued. On 4 January 2019, Thairath Online reported that EC Chair Itthiporn Boonprakong said that the EC was informed of the details regarding the preparations for King Maha Vajiralongkorn’s coronation and related activities by Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam. Mr Itthiporn also said that the EC is fully prepared to organize the general election, and will set a date once the Royal Decree calling for the election has been issued. Earlier today, Channel 7 news reported that Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda said that there is no hidden agenda behind the circular letter. The Ministry of Interior is responsible for civil registration and therefore is responsible for preparing the list of eligible voters, organizing polling booths, and informing heads of household. As the Ministry has been informed that the Royal Decree for the general election has not been issued as previously planned, preparations have to be deferred, Gen Paochinda said. The 2019 general election was at first provisionally set for 24 February 2019, after having been postponed several times. After... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Thai election in limbo as preparations halted, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Prachatai - Wednesday, 9 January
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- - Asian stocks mixed as investors await US-China trade developments
- - Indonesia’s gambling with a tax on e-commerce. Will it pay off?
- - Should Media Avoid Naming the Gunmen in Mass Shootings?
- - Water sharing in Indonesia key to smothering transboundary haze
- - Asian stocks trade higher as investors await US-China trade developments
- - ‘50 hearts for 50 lives’: mourners pay tribute to New Zealand mosque terror attack victims
- - Asian stocks set to open lower as investors await US-China trade developments
- - China to aid Mekong's development
- - New Zealand Citizens Open to Gun Reform After Massacre