Taiwan Says It Will Treat Hong Kong Asylum Seekers Humanely
Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen says she would follow “humanitarian principles” in dealing with asylum seekers from Hong Kong.Tsai made the comments after Radio Free Asia reported that more than a dozen protesters from Hong Kong have fled to Taiwan.In response, China's foreign ministry Friday warned Taiwan against “pretending to be compassionate.”Taiwan does not have a formal refugee policy. Any move to resettle Hong Kong protesters is likely to anger Beijing.Hong Kong is a Chinese territory that has been rocked over the last month by massive protests against an extradition bill that would allow residents to be tried in mainland China. China also claims Taiwan as its territory, though the democratically governed island split from the Communist Party-ruled mainland amid civil war in 1949.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Taiwan Says It Will Treat Hong Kong Asylum Seekers Humanely, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 19 July
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Hong Kong police threaten use of water cannon in latest clashes Bangkok Post (Today) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong police on Sunday for the first time rolled out water cannon trucks in clashes with protesters, after months of escalating violence, but stopped short of using...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! After night of clashes, Hong Kong braces for fresh rally Bangkok Post (Today) - HONG KONG: Protesters gathered at a sports stadium Sunday as Hong Kong braced for more anti-government rallies, a day after clashes returned to the city's streets following several days of...
- Older News
- Vote! Violence returns as protesters taunt HK police Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - HONG KONG: Riot police fired tear gas at protesters and detained some people as the 12th weekend of demonstrations in Hong Kong turned violent again on Saturday....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Sudan PM Seeks End toCountry's Pariah Status
- - Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
- - Iran's Envoy Makes Surprise Visit at Site of G-7 Summit
- - Former Illinois Congressman Challenges Trump for Republican Presidential Nomination
- - Placido Domingo to Perform for First Time Since Accusations
- - Elizabeth Warren's Rise Started by Looking at the Bottom
- - Extinction Bites: Countries Agree to Protect Sharks, Rays
- - At G-7, Trump at Odds with Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
- - Tropical Storm Watch Issued for Barbados as Dorian Nears
- - White House: Trump Wishes He'd Boosted China Tariffs Higher