Sri Lanka Orders Arrest of Top Police Watchdog
Sri Lanka's chief prosecutor on Wednesday ordered the arrest of a top officer at the police watchdog over his alleged involvement in a multi-million dollar gun-running racket.Saman Dissanayake, the secretary and third in command of the National Police Commission, was ordered to appear in court by Friday over the transfer of state weapons to a private company.At the time of the offence, he was a top official in the defence ministry under Sri Lanka's then-president Mahinda Rajapakse.Dissanayake had exhausted his attempts at securing anticipatory bail and could now be arrested, state attorney Nishara Jayaratne said in a statement.It was not immediately clear if Dissanayake was in the country, with social media speculation that he may have travelled abroad last week.In a separate case, Rajapakse's younger brother also faces allegations of gun-running.Gotabhaya Rajapakse is accused of defrauding the government of millions of dollars while he was the top defence bureaucrat by transferring the navy's responsibilities for providing armed protection to international shipping to a private firm.He is also facing several other criminal charges but is currently on bail and is in Singapore recuperating after a heart surgery, according to his lawyers.Gotabhaya is due in court next week in connection with an embezzlement case. Rajapakse lost the January 2015 election to Maithripala Sirisena, who pledged to clean up corruption and end cronyism in the Sri Lankan government. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Sri Lanka Orders Arrest of Top Police Watchdog, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 July
- In the last 2 hours
- Vote! Sri Lanka withdraws emergency law imposed after Easter attacks REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Today) - Sri Lanka on Friday withdrew an emergency law imposed after Easter Sunday attacks in April, a military spokesman said. ...
- Older News
- Vote! U.S. warns Sri Lanka on investment, military ties after army chief promotion REUTERS ASIA NEWS (3 days ago) - A senior U.S. State Department official warned on Tuesday that Sri Lanka's appointment of a war veteran accused of serious human rights violations as head of its army could affect...
- Vote! Sri Lanka says international criticism over new army chief 'unwarranted' REUTERS ASIA NEWS (3 days ago) - Sri Lanka on Tuesday brushed aside as "unwarranted and unacceptable" international criticism of its decision to name a war veteran accused of human rights violations as its army chief. ...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Climate change turns Greenland into strategic, economic hotspot
- - Hong Kong protesters target airport week after arrivals hall mayhem
- - UN: Myanmar Military Intended to Perpetrate Genocide Against Rohingya Muslims
- - Jewish Groups Speak Out Against Trump Immigration Policy
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Under Way
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
- - US Tells Canada It's Urging China to Free Detained Canadians
- - New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
- - France, Greece To push for EU Solidarity on Migrant Crisis
- - EU Nations Taking In Migrants Stranded on Rescue Ship