Spokesman: Myanmar Army Kills 13 Rebels in Rakhine Clashes
Myanmar's army has killed 13 rebel fighters in the western Rakhine State, a military spokesman said on Friday, as government troops battle to contain a new insurgency in the troubled region. Fighting between security forces and the Arakan Army, an ethnic armed group seeking greater autonomy for Rakhine, has forced some 5,000 civilians to flee their homes since early December, according to the United Nations. The violence has brought fresh turmoil to the region, the site of a massive crackdown on the Rohingya Muslim minority in 2017, and represents another setback for the Buddhist-majority country's embattled peace process. "Between Jan. 5 and 16, 2019, there were eight clashes and five landmine explosions," said Major General Tun Tun Nyi, speaking at a rare press conference in the capital, Naypyitaw. "Thirteen enemy bodies and three weapons were seized, and some soldiers died and were injured on our side," he said. He declined... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Spokesman: Myanmar Army Kills 13 Rebels in Rakhine Clashes, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Pollution improves, but Chiang Mai braced for more
- - How could a sharp slowdown in China affect growth prospects for the rest of Asia?
- - 18 hurt after bus slams into house
- - Woman stomped to death by wild elephants
- - Hong Kong seizes $1m worth of rhino horn at airport
- - China Giving Pakistan $3.5 Billion in Loans, Grants
- - Thai immigration NOT showing the love on Valentine’s Day: 522 arrested
- - Big Joke: Busts company issuing fake visas and 90 day stamps
- - Abbot finally arrested on attempted murder charge after 15 years
- - Valentine’s Day shooting: Husband shot after wife questions “mysterious” phone call
- Older News
- Vote! Myanmar army shelling villages in Rakhine ‘without any regard for human rights’ SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - Myanmar soldiers are shelling villages, detaining civilians and blocking aid as part of a new...
- Vote! Myanmar army shelling villages in renewed attacks on Rohingya, ‘without any regard for human rights’ SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - Myanmar soldiers are shelling villages, detaining civilians and blocking aid as part of a new...
- Vote! People Flee Escalating Violence in Myanmar's Rakhine, Southern Chin States VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - The U.N. refugee agency says it is worried by reports of people fleeing escalating violence...