Speculation Grows Over Second Trump-Kim Summit
U.S. President Donald Trump is meeting North Korea's top nuclear envoy Friday at the White House Oval Office to discuss efforts to get Pyongyang to give up its nuclear program. In a statement, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump and Kim Yong Chol, vice chairman of the Workers Party of Korea and chairman of the Korea Asia Pacific Peace Committee, will "discuss relations between the two countries and continued progress on North Korea's final, fully verified denuclearization." General Kim Yong Chol, a former North Korean spymaster who is often referred to as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's right-hand man, is reported to be bringing Trump a personal letter from Kim. The meeting adds to speculation that Washington and Pyongyang could soon announce a second summit between the two leaders. Earlier Friday, Kim Yong Chol met with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo at a Washington hotel. The meeting's aim was to revive nuclear negotiations which have been postponed for months over what U.S. officials say is Pyongyang's refusal to meet Washington's demand for a detailed inventory of its nuclear and missile programs. Pompeo did not respond to journalists' questions about the meeting. Speculation abounds regarding a second Trump-Kim summit. American media reports have quoted sources saying it could happen around March or April with Danang, Vietnam, being discussed as one of the likely venues. Denuclearization On several occasions Trump has expressed his confidence on North Korean denuclearization. "With North Korea, we have a very good dialogue," he said Jan. 6, adding that it's "very special" and that with "anybody else but me, you'd be in war right now." But critics point out that Pyongyang has not taken measurable steps toward disarmament since the first Trump-Kim historic summit in Singapore last June. At the United Nations on Friday, U.N.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Speculation Grows Over Second Trump-Kim Summit, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 18 January
- In the last 2 hours
- Vote! Russia’s Vladimir Putin calls for ‘international guarantees’ in first summit with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - North Korea’s Kim Jong-un and Russia’s Vladimir Putin vowed to seek closer ties as they met for the first time on Thursday, in a summit intended to galvanise support amid...
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Putin: North Korea Needs Security Guarantees to Denuclearize VOA NEWS (Today) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that in order for North Korea to get rid of its nuclear program it would need international security guarantees. Speaking to reporters after meeting...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! North Korea’s Kim Jong-un and Russia’s Vladimir Putin have ‘meaningful exchange’ at first summit SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met Russian President Vladimir Putin for the first time on Thursday, in a summit intended to galvanise support amid Pyongyang’s stalled nuclear talks with Washington.The...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Thailand resisting falling into rail debt trap
- - Free emergency water to be delivered to Kamala residents
- - 49 bedroom Patong beach Hotel for sale
- - 3.6 million coronation souvenir coins ordered
- - Boat sinks with dozens of schoolchildren on-board at Koh Tao pier
- - Update on The Man Who Sleeps With Rats
- - ANZAC Day at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery
- - Philippines open for business with China, but stands firm on insisting Beijing respects its sovereignty: trade secretary
- - Papuans Challenge Indonesian Rule at Country's Highest Court
- - Latest K-pop sex scandal allegations expose the realities of women’s status in patriarchal South Korea