South Korean President Welcomes US, North Korea Deal
South Korean President Moon Jae-in welcomed the results of a summit between the leaders of North Korea and the United States, saying Thursday the talks helped move the region toward peace. Moon hosted U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for a meeting in Seoul to discuss Monday’s historic summit. U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed an agreement calling for the end to North Korea’s nuclear weapons program, promising U.S. security guarantees, pledging to establish new U.S.-North Korea relations and to recover the remains of prisoners of war. Moon said Thursday he wants to hear how the two sides can fully and expeditiously implement the deal. Pompeo expressed confidence that the United States “took a very good, significant step,” at the summit in Singapore. On Wednesday, Pompeo said the United States is hoping for “major, major disarmament” by North Korea within 2½ years. The top U.S. diplomat, after briefing South Korean officials in Seoul, said the U.S. “most definitely” wants verifiable North Korean action to denuclearize the Korean peninsula by the end of Trump’s first term in the White House in January 2021. "I am ... confident they understand that there will be in-depth verification," Pompeo said, adding that further U.S. talks with North Korea on how and when it will end its nuclear program will resume "sometime in the next week." He said Trump and Kim reached understandings not written in the document they signed. "Not all of that work appeared in the final document," Pompeo said. "But lots of other places where there were understandings reached, we couldn't reduce them to writing, so that means there's still some work to do,. But there was a great deal of work done that is beyond what was seen in the final document that will be... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, South Korean President Welcomes US, North Korea Deal, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 14 June, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea, US Spar Over Sanctions VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - North Korea believes there are no legitimate reasons to maintain sanctions against the country since it has not conducted nuclear and missile testing for well over a year, a North...
- Vote! Seoul seeks to break deadlock in nuclear negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - As talks between Washington and Pyongyang on denuclearisation appear to have stalled after last month’s summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ended without agreement,...
- Vote! Shadowy group plotting Kim Jong-un’s overthrow raided a North Korean embassy in broad daylight SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - Days before US President Donald Trump was set to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Vietnam, a mysterious incident in Spain threatened to derail the entire high-stakes nuclear summit.In...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - High turnout expected for Thailand’s first election since 2014 coup
- - Woman killed by sleeping pickup driver
- - Soi Dog calling to end the suffering of homeless and neglected cats
- - India’s political parties go cartoon crazy as they chase country’s youth vote on social media
- - Investors should avoid shares of this $36 billion, widely used Chinese tech firm, analysts say
- - New Zealand: Guns Used in Mosque Attack Banned Immediately
- - Protect Andaman mass beach cleanup at Layan nets 92kg of trash
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Crushed by water truck? Spa shooter ’snapped’! PTT to sell inmate products! || March 21
- - Court upholds acquittal of politician on garbage charges
- - Indonesian, Philippine central banks hold benchmark rates