South Korean Envoys Leave for North Korea to Set Up Summit
A South Korean presidential delegation flew to North Korea on Wednesday for talks to arrange a summit planned later this month and help rescue faltering nuclear diplomacy between Washington and Pyongyang. It's unclear who the South Korean envoys will meet in the North or whether they will see North Korean leader Kim Jong Un before returning to the South later Wednesday. South Korean President Moon Jae-in said his national security adviser will be carrying a personal letter for Kim. Moon said the envoys are tasked with a crucial role at a "very important time" that could determine the prospects for lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula. While pushing ahead with summits and inter-Korean engagement, Seoul is trying to persuade Washington and Pyongyang to proceed with peace and denuclearization processes at the same time so they can overcome a growing dispute over the sequencing of the diplomacy. Seoul also wants a trilateral summit between the countries, or a four-nation meeting that also includes Beijing, to declare a formal end to the 1950-53 Korean War. The U.N. General Assembly in late September would be an ideal date for Seoul, but many analysts see that possibility as low, considering the complications of the process and how far apart the parties currently are. U.S. officials have insisted that a peace declaration, which many see as a precursor to the North eventually calling for the removal of all U.S. troops from the Korean Peninsula, cannot come before North Korea takes more concrete action toward abandoning its nukes. Such steps may include providing an account of the components of its nuclear program, allowing outside inspections and giving up a certain number of its nuclear weapons during the early stages of the negotiations. The North has accused the United States of... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, South Korean Envoys Leave for North Korea to Set Up Summit, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 4 September, 2018
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! North Korea's Kim to Meet with Russian President Putin VOA NEWS (Today) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Russian President Vladimir Putin are to meet later this month in Moscow. The Kremlin announcement was made Thursday after North Korea said it...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’ ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (Yesterday) - NORTH KOREA’s Kim Jong Un has supervised the test-firing of a new tactical weapon with a “powerful warhead”, state media reported Thursday, in the first test of its kind since...
- Vote! North Korea Tests New 'Tactical Guided Weapon' VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - North Korea has tested a new “tactical guided weapon,” the latest display of Pyongyang's military capabilities, state media reported Thursday. Kim Jong Un supervised and guided the test, calling it...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Evangelical Group Says Laos Has Deported 3 American Missionaries
- - Thailand busts 'seasteading' effort by American
- - Wildfire contained at Phromthep Cape, fire warning re-issued
- - After Songkran, Phuket water reductions continue to stretch reserves until rains return
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Cobra eggs missing! Arrest in Phi Phi rape case! Worst Songkran road record? || April 18
- - King cobra female caught in Patong, 30 eggs missing from nest
- - Soldier dies after motorbike hits power pole in Thalang
- - US bitcoin trader may face death penalty in Thailand over 'sea home'
- - British diver Josh Bratchley, who helped save Thai soccer team, brought back from US underwater cave in dramatic rescue
- - Taiwan presidential run by Terry Gou creates ‘uncertain’ future for Foxconn, analysts say