South Korean Envoys Head to US to Discuss North Korean Offer
Two South Korean envoys are heading to the United States to brief Trump administration officials about their talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Chung Eui-yong, the head of the National Security Office, left Seoul Thursday accompanied by National Intelligence Service Chief Suh Hoon. Chung and Suh are expected to discuss their meeting with Kim this week in Pyongyang with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. According to Chung Eui-yong, the North Korean leader unexpectedly offered to suspend testing its arsenal of nuclear and ballistic missiles while it engages directly with the United States to end his country's nuclear weapons program — as long as North Korea's security was guaranteed. The rival Korean nations also agreed to hold a major summit in late April in the border village of Panmunjom. Speaking to reporters Thursday in Addis Ababa, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. needs to be "very clear-eyed and realistic" about direct U.S.-North Korean talks. "I don't know yet until we are able to meet ourselves face to face with representatives of North Korea whether the conditions are right to even begin thinking about negotiations," Tillerson said. "And that's kind of the current state of play.'' President Donald Trump has expressed cautious optimism, saying earlier this week that Pyongyang appeared to be "sincere" in its offer to engage in talks. After their meetings in Washington, Chung will travel to China and Russia to brief officials there about North Korea's offer, while Suh will travel to Japan. The three nations, along with South Korea and the United States, have been negotiating with Pyongyang for several years to end its nuclear weapons program. The talks have stalled since 2008.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, South Korean Envoys Head to US to Discuss North Korean Offer, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 8 March, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Korean, maid hurt in Phuket gun attack Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - PHUKET: A South Korean national and a maid were wounded in a gun attack by a housekeeper of a spa parlour run by the Korean’s daughter in Muang district of...
- Vote! The Odd Family, Train to Busan 2: Korean zombie movies come back to life as a political force SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - The family at the centre of The Odd Family: Zombie On Sale , the latest horror film to have caught the South Korean public’s imagination, are down on their luck....
- Vote! Shadowy group plotting Kim Jong-un’s overthrow raided a North Korean embassy in broad daylight SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - Days before US President Donald Trump was set to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Vietnam, a mysterious incident in Spain threatened to derail the entire high-stakes nuclear summit.In...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Stocks in Asia falter amid US-China trade uncertainty
- - Asia stocks falter amid US-China trade uncertainty
- - Asia stocks set to slip on US-China trade uncertainty
- - 'Faces' still carry poll clout
- - City gets coronation makeover
- - Taxi fare jumps 40 baht in 200 meters – and the registration inside and out doesn’t match
- - Italy Set to Join China’s Belt & Road Initiative
- - Japan Olympic chief quits in face of corruption charges
- - Trump Linking Huawei, China Trade Roils Justice Department
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Whistleblower fatally shot! Returning B400K in cash? Crash takes pregnant woman! || March 20