South China Sea Exercises Fortify Once Edgy U.S.-Philippine Relations
Analysts say joint naval exercises by the Philippines and the United States in the South China Sea are an indication the island nation is drawing closer to its former colonizer and historic friend after several years seeking warmer relations with the United States’ cold war foe, China. The exercises, July 9-16, include two Philippine warships and two ships, plus an aircraft carrier from the United States, according to the U.S. Navy’s Indo-Pacific Command website. The venue off the west coast of Luzon Island adjoins a tract of the sea where the Philippines and China dispute sovereignty. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, in office now for two years, had put aside the sovereignty dispute to build relations with China and sidelined the United States. Analysts say Duterte is now seeking to renew relations with Washington because Philippine citizens, the armed forces and even members of the Cabinet favor a stronger maritime defense.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, South China Sea Exercises Fortify Once Edgy U.S.-Philippine Relations, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - India-Pakistan crisis: Saudi Arabia aims to de-escalate tensions
- - Gold prices unchanged at B19,600
- - Fashion mastermind Lagerfeld dies
- - Pakistan PM warns India against attack, urges talks on Kashmir blast
- - After Kashmir attack, what are India's options?
- - Pakistani PM says he's willing to talk but warns India
- - Pakistan PM urges talks on Kashmir blast, warns India against attack
- - Pulwama attack: Pakistan warns India against military action
- - On the 8th February Royal Command: an interview with Sawatree Suksri
- - Asia markets mixed amid renewed US-China tensions
- Older News
- Vote! Chinese Militia Aside, Philippines to Keep Building on Disputed Islet VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - China and the Philippines became friends in 2016 after four years of struggling for control...
- Vote! Explained: South China Sea dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - The South China Sea, one of the world’s busiest waterways, is subject to several overlapping...