Six alleged drug mules arrested, 15 million meth pills seized in Chiang Mai
Police have arrested six men and seized 15 million methamphetamine pills they were allegedly trying to smuggle from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in four pickup trucks. The arrests were made between 8.30am and 3pm on Monday in four separate incidents at two checkpoints, on a road and at a resort in Mae Ai district in Chiang Mai, and further north in Chiang Rai’s Mae Chan district. Pol Maj Gen Montree Samboonyanon, acting commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 5, revealed details of operation during a press conference at the bureau at 4pm on Tuesday. The six suspects were identified as Rakchart Tansaen, 31, Angkhan Soomkhai, 37, Thiraphat Saengthai, 35, Wallop Munyaem, 350, Thanaphat Munyaem, 22, and Samart Urachuen, 54. The drama began when Mae Chan police at a road checkpoint spotted four empty pickups driving in convoy and became suspicious. They stopped one of the pickups and checked but found nothing untoward. The driver told them he was driving to Mae Ai, so police alerted the Mae Ai and Mae Chan stations to check the pickups when they arrived. One pickup turned up at the Huan Nua resort in Mae Chan, where police stopped it and tested the two occupants for drugs. Both tested positive and were arrested. They told police they were hired to smuggle the drugs from Mae Ai to Bangkok. Police on the Mae Chan-Fang road in Mae Ai then spotted another of the suspicious vehicles and flagged it down. Hidden under a pile of blankets in the back they found 48 bags containing a total 4.8 million methamphetamine pills. The occupants of the vehicle were taken into custody. At 3pm, police from the Mae Ai police station located 102 more bags with 10.2 million meth pills, in a forest near Ban San Tonkhu village in Tambon... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Six alleged drug mules arrested, 15 million meth pills seized in Chiang Mai, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Samui Times - Wednesday, 24 October
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! American man falls to his death from Chiang Mai condo Samui Times (Today) - An American man fell to his death from the balcony of his room on the tenth floor of a condominium building in Chiang Mai’s Muang district early Monday. The Muang...
- Vote! Chiang Mai joins Global Climate Strike on its most polluted day. Prachatai (Today) - Submitted on Mon, 2019-03-18 18:52PrachataiStudents and international environmentalists have joined a strike in Chiang Mai to show solidarity with the Fridays for Future movement. Just before the strike, Chiang Mai...
- Older News
- Vote! Drug courier shot dead, 8m speed pills seized Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - CHIANG RAI: A suspected drug courier was shot dead and two others arrested with 8 million speed pills seized following a clash with police in Mae Chan district in the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Asian stocks mixed as investors await US-China trade developments
- - All-girls international school comes to Bangkok
- - Chiang Mai joins Global Climate Strike on its most polluted day.
- - Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- - Air Pollution Cuts Lives Short by More Than Two Years in Thailand
- - One dead, kids injured in school bus accident in Prachinburi
- - Indonesia’s gambling with a tax on e-commerce. Will it pay off?
- - Should Media Avoid Naming the Gunmen in Mass Shootings?
- - Water sharing in Indonesia key to smothering transboundary haze
- - Asian stocks trade higher as investors await US-China trade developments