Singapore should follow Malaysia in Abolishing Death Penalty as we strive for a Death Penalty free ASEAN Region.
Submitted on Tue, 2018-10-30 13:47MADPETMADPET(Malaysians Against Death Penalty and Torture) is very disappointed that Singapore, which is just one of 4 countries, still conducting execution for drug offences in 2017, has on 26/10/2018 went and hanged 31 year old Malaysian, Prabu Pathmanathan. Prabu was sentenced to death for committing several acts preparatory to and for the purposes of trafficking 227.82g of diamorphine or heroin into the island state on Dec 31, 2014.(Malaysiakini, 26/10/2018). According to The Online Citizen(TOC) report, Prabu is just one of a possible 4 persons who were executed this week. TOC reported that ‘Ali Bin Mohamad Bahashwan was executed alongside his co-accused Selamat Bin Paki on Wednesday afternoon (24 October 2018)…. Irwan Ali, a Singaporean, is the other inmate who is set to be executed this Friday…’(TOC, 26/10/2018) The Singapore Prison Service 2017 annual report showed eight people were executed in 2017, up from four in 2016. Actual statistics of executions carried out in 2018 cannot be confirmed, as Singapore continuous be ‘secretive’ and not transparent with such data. It is believed that there may have already been about 8 executions to date in 2018. Many a time in Singapore, one becomes aware of upcoming executions, only when immediate family is informed days before, take the trouble to inform anti-death penalty advocates and groups. The death sentence is provided for drug-related crimes in about 15 countries, but according to Amnesty International only four countries recorded drug offence executions in 2017 – Singapore, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and China.(South China Morning Post/SCMP, 26/10/2018) In reality, the majority of those executed for drug trafficking will not be “kingpins” but are just low-level offenders. Many may have been driven to crime by reasons of poverty, which really highlights a failure of governments in ensuring the wellbeing and livelihood of its people. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Singapore should follow Malaysia in Abolishing Death Penalty as we strive for a Death Penalty free ASEAN Region., simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Prachatai - Tuesday, 30 October, 2018
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Man Utd held by Wolves after Pogba's penalty woe Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - WOLVERHAMPTON: Manchester United were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw against Wolves after Paul Pogba's penalty was saved by Rui Patricio at Molineux on Monday....
- Older News
- Vote! Singaporean gets life in prison for killing Chinese lover, burning her body over 3 days SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - A Singaporean man who strangled his lover to death at a secluded spot at Gardens by the Bay East, then burned her body over three days, was sentenced to life...
- Vote! Marium death spurs 'dugong masterplan' talks Bangkok Post (3 days ago) - The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment will hold a special meeting on Monday to discuss the "national dugong masterplan", following the death of Marium, a baby dugong who died...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Census Figures Show Economic Gap Narrows with Citizenship
- - 5 bedroom Panoramic Sea View Villa for sale Ao Po
- - Cameroon President Assists Militia After Boko Haram Raids
- - Brad Paisley out; Reba, Dolly, Carrie Underwood to Host CMAs
- - NY Police Fire Officer Involved in 2014 Chokehold Death
- - With Eyes On Election, Netanyahu Calls For Closer Ties With Ukraine
- - Ugandan Coach Scouts for Major League Baseball Talent in Africa
- - Trump Calls on Federal Reserve to Cut Interest Rates
- - Ugandan Coach Scouts Major League Baseball Talent in Africa
- - US Scraps West Bank Conference over Palestinian Protests