Seoul: US, N. Korea in Talks to Set Up 3rd Trump-Kim Summit
North Korean and U.S. officials are holding “behind-the-scenes talks” to arrange a third summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on the fate of the North's expanding nuclear arsenal, South Korea's president said, four months after a second meeting between the leaders in Vietnam collapsed without any agreement.There have been no public meetings between Washington and Pyongyang since the breakdown of the Vietnam summit. But the prospects for a resumption of U.S.-North Korea diplomacy have brightened since Trump and Kim recently exchanged personal letters. Trump called Kim's letter “beautiful” while Kim described Trump's as “excellent,” though the contents of their letters have not been disclosed.Trump was asked Wednesday as he departed for Asia if he would be meeting with Kim at the Group of 20 summit in Japan. Trump said he wouldn't be meeting with Kim, but then added: “I may be speaking with him in a different forum. I will be going, as you know, to South Korea after the summit.” He didn't elaborate.South Korean President Moon Jae-in, right, talks with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, not pictured, at the presidential Blue House, June 26, 2019, in Seoul.In a response Tuesday to questions by The Associated Press and six other news agencies, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that Trump's and Kim's “willingness to engage in dialogue has never faded” and that their recent letter exchanges prove that.Moon, a liberal who met Kim three times last year, has made dialogue with the North as a means to forging peace on the Korean Peninsula a centerpiece of his presidency. He has played a central role in facilitating U.S.-North Korean negotiations, even if those efforts have at times been overshadowed by the Trump-Kim talks that he helped broker. Moon said he doesn't see the Vietnam summit as... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Seoul: US, N. Korea in Talks to Set Up 3rd Trump-Kim Summit, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 26 June
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! US-South Korea Drills Could Impact Nuclear Talks, Says North VOA NEWS (Today) - North Korea has criticized U.S. plans to hold a joint military exercise next month with South Korea, suggesting the drills could negatively impact upcoming working-level nuclear talks with Washington.In a...
- Vote! N. Korea warns US-S. Korea drills will affect nuclear talks Bangkok Post (Today) - SEOUL: North Korea on Tuesday said looming US-South Korea military drills could impact the proposed resumption of nuclear talks between Pyongyang and Washington, and hinted that it could reconsider its...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Pompeo Hopes US, North Korea Can Be 'More Creative' in Nuclear Talks VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he hoped both North Korea and the United States could "be a little more creative" as the two sides push to...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - IMF cut global growth GDP in 2019 to 3.3% warning of higher risk
- - Thailand seeking endorsement for 5 international airports
- - Phuket python caught feasting on Rawai chickens
- - Storm weather warning issued for Phuket
- - 30 bedroom Patong Hotel for lease
- - Phuket surf warning issued as storm conditions rise
- - Phuket Town main road to close one lane for sports parade
- - After Phuket student killed by electrocution, officials assure public park areas are safe
- - Modern Apartments in Patong for sale
- - Apollo Mission Control Room Reopened to Mark Moon Landing Anniversary