Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh to start returning home in November
HUNDREDS of thousands of Rohingya refugees will start returning to their native state of Rakhine, Burma (Myanmar) barely a week after the United Nations warned of an ‘ongoing’ genocide against the Muslim minority. The process of repatriating the refugees is slated to begin in about two weeks time after Bangladesh and Burmese government reached an agreement on Tuesday. “We are looking forward to starting the repatriation by mid-November,” Bangladesh foreign secretary Shahidul Haque said, as quoted by the AFP. “It is the first phase.” SEE ALSO: UN calls for tribunal for Burma’s ‘ongoing’ genocide of Rohingya Shahidul’s announcement came following talks in Dhaka between officials from both countries. Myint Thu, Burma’s permanent secretary of foreign affairs who took part in the talks said both countries agreed to a “very concrete” plan to start the process in November. “We have shown our political will, flexibility and accommodation in order to commence the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh to start returning home in November, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Inclusive plan urged to solve insurgency
- - December drop drags 2018 exports
- - Pattaya maps out water safety plan
- - Boffs to test Premchai's wife's tusks
- - CSD shuts illegal sports betting site
- - PPRP 'made a mistake' on farmers' land
- - Prawit promises better care for kids of illegal aliens
- - Asian stocks poised for cautious trading amid concerns about the global economic outlook
- - Sudarat, Chadchart dismiss rumours of rift
- - Prayut promises poll date 'coming soon'
- Older News
- Vote! Rohingya Muslim group fleeing India to Bangladesh stuck on "zero line" REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Yesterday) - Bangladesh has denied entry to 31 Rohingya Muslims trying to enter from India and they...
- Vote! Hundreds of Rohingya families flee India after deportations REUTERS ASIA NEWS (5 days ago) - Hundreds of Rohingya Muslim families have left India for Bangladesh since seven Rohingya men were...