Rio Governor Says 'Only a Matter of Time' Before He Becomes Brazil President
The far-right governor of Rio de Janeiro state, who has likened drug dealers to terrorists and Nazis while advocating snipers in helicopters to shoot them dead, said on Tuesday "it is only a matter of time" before he becomes president of Brazil.Wilson Witzel, a former federal judge, was widely seen as a long-shot to become governor of Rio state in last year's elections. But his law-and-order rhetoric helped align him with the eventual winner of the 2018 presidential race, former army captain Jair Bolsonaro, hoisting him to an unlikely victory."Without doubt," Witzel said, when asked by foreign journalists in Rio if he believed he would be president in the future. He did not specify when he might run.Witzel's comments suggest Bolsonaro is likely to face tough challenges from both the left and the right if he seeksre-election in 2022. Bolsonaro had promised during last year's campaign to do away with re-election for Brazilian presidents but recently said he could run for second term.Sao Paulo Governor JoÃ£o Doria, whose once-close ties with Bolsonaro have frayed since he took charge of the wealthy and relatively peaceful state earlier this year, is also expected to run.Murder RateIn line with national trends, the number of murders in Rio has fallen since Witzel took office on Jan. 1, down around 25 percent between January and May compared with the same period in 2018.But the number of killings by Rio's police officers has risen, up nearly 20 percent in the first five months of this year. Critics argue Witzel's hard-line rhetoric has given cops an implicit permission to kill."Nobody wants to kill bandits. We want to arrest them," Witzel said. "But they need to know we are going to act with rigor. When we arrive, they either surrender, or die."Witzel, who has ramped up the use... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Rio Governor Says 'Only a Matter of Time' Before He Becomes Brazil President, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 16 July
- Older News
- Vote! FBI Seeking to Question Alleged Al-Qaida Operative in Brazil VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is seeking to question an alleged Egyptian al-Qaida operative believed to be living in Brazil, and the South American country has pledged to cooperate...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Hoax Chinese police cars on the streets of Australia spark alarm
- - Southeast Asia moves to cool lucrative online gambling industries amid China clampdown
- - The Next Unicorn Startup Might Be in a US Government Lab
- - Iran Tanker Sails From Gibraltar
- - Danish PM: Trump's Idea of Buying Greenland is 'Absurd'
- - Activists: Airstrikes Halt Turkish Convoy on Road in Syria
- - Afghanistan blasts wound dozens on Independence Day
- - Jeju, Bangkok, Da Nang top 3 travel picks for South Koreans
- - Universities must collaborate to meet huge EEC demand: Somkid
- - Sudan's Bashir got $90m from Saudi, investigator tells court